Sunday, February 14, 2021

Richard & Linda Thompson - BBC Sessions, Volume 3: 1978-1981

Here's the third out of four albums of Richard and Linda Thompson at the BBC.

For the previous two volumes, virtually all of the performances were officially released. But for this one, all but one of the performances are still unreleased. The 2020 box set "Hard Luck Stories" has a big gap in the BBC and/or live material from this time period. Luckily though, there were a couple of concerts, one from 1978 and the other from 1980, that were recorded live for the BBC. The vast majority of the songs here come from those two concerts.

Despite the fact that this is mostly unreleased, the sound quality is still excellent. The BBC always did a bang up job with the quality of their recorded concerts. As I often do, I've eliminated the crowd response after each song. For all the live songs here, the audience was quiet and respectful during songs, so it would be easy to believe these are studio versions with no audience at all

01 House of Cards (Richard & Linda Thompson)
02 talk (Richard & Linda Thompson)
03 Genesis Hall (Richard & Linda Thompson)
04 talk (Richard & Linda Thompson)
05 Restless Highway (Richard & Linda Thompson)
06 Things You Gave Me (Richard & Linda Thompson)
07 Sweet Surrender (Richard & Linda Thompson)
08 The Wrong Heartbeat (Richard & Linda Thompson)
09 talk (Richard & Linda Thompson)
10 Speechless Child (Richard & Linda Thompson)
11 talk (Richard & Linda Thompson)
12 Wall of Death (Richard & Linda Thompson)
13 Backstreet Slide (Richard & Linda Thompson)
14 Modern Woman (Richard & Linda Thompson)
15 Borrowed Time (Richard & Linda Thompson)
16 Pavanne (Richard & Linda Thompson)

https://www.upload.ee/files/15852166/RichnLinT_1978-1981_BBSessionsVolum3_atse.zip.html

The cover art photo is a screenshot I took from the DVD that goes with the "Hard Luck Stories" box set. I forget, but I believe it's from a 1980 or 1981 concert. I thought it would be interesting for once to have a wide view that includes some of the audience in a small club. I believe that's Simon Nicol in the shadows, assisting on guitar.

2 comments:

  1. There is a DVD that goes with the box set? I don't think I got that. :(

    Regardless, I did get the box set last week and I have been blown away by how great the First Light album is. I used to own it and didn't really listen all that much. I don't know if the remastering upgraded it or if my tastes have just matured.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree. The First Light album is a lot better than I remember.

      Delete