Wednesday, February 24, 2021

Fleetwood Mac - Trodd Nossel Studios, Wallingford, CT, 9-23-1975

I hadn't planned on posting this 1975 Fleetwood Mac concert, great though it is, because it's very similar to another concert I posted by them at the Capitol Theatre in Passaic, New Jersey. In fact, the only difference in the songs is that two songs are uniquely performed on this one ("Why" and "Over My Head") and one song was uniquely performed on that one ("Don't Let Me Down Again").  But I'm posting it because there's an upgraded version that came out in late 2020 that I just found out about, and it sounds even better than before. And this bootleg concert already sounded great. So even if you have this popular bootleg, I recommend you get this version.

This is one of my favorite Fleetwood Mac concerts because it happened at a unique time in the band's history. In the late 1960s and early 1970s, they were a popular blues band, led by guitarist Peter Green. But by 1975, the personnel has drastically changed, especially due to the brand new members Stevie Nicks and Lindsey Buckingham. Their 1975 album, simply called "Fleetwood Mac," was the first with this new line-up. It's now regarded as a classic, with every song a hit or should have been a hit. But this new Fleetwood Mac didn't catch on right away. At the time of this concert, they still relied a lot on the band's earlier reputation and songs. So this is a rare moment when the new Fleetwood Mac played lots of the old Fleetwood Mac's songs. Seven of the 13 songs here are from before Nicks and Buckingham joining the band. 

In 1977, the band would release "Rumours," one of the best selling albums of all time. It was so chock-a-block with great, popular songs that their concert set lists dropped the pre-1975 songs almost entirely. So it's only on this recording and the Capitol Theatre one mentioned above where you can hear these earlier songs done by this new line-up.

Needless to say, they do a great job, on both the new and old songs. The only minor fly in the ointment is that it seems most of the comments between songs weren't recorded. One can tell this by the few that there are only a few brief comments here and there, and by the fact that the applause often got suddenly cut off. For that latter problem, I patched in applause from the ends of other songs to make things transition in a more natural manner. I did that for about four or five song endings.

Personally, I think both this and the Capitol Theatre shows are so good that any fan of this Fleetwood Mac era should have both, despite their similarities. The sound quality for this one is possibly the best, helped by the fact that the band played for a small, quiet audience in a recording studio for a radio broadcast. During the quiet songs, it's like you can hear a pin drop.

This concert is an hour and six minutes long.

01 talk (Fleetwood Mac)
02 Get like You Used to Be (Fleetwood Mac)
03 Station Man (Fleetwood Mac)
04 Spare Me a Little of Your Love (Fleetwood Mac)
05 Rhiannon (Fleetwood Mac)
06 Why (Fleetwood Mac)
07 Landslide (Fleetwood Mac)
08 Over My Head (Fleetwood Mac)
09 I'm So Afraid (Fleetwood Mac)
10 Oh Well, Part 1 (Fleetwood Mac)
11 The Green Manalishi [With the Two Prong Crown] (Fleetwood Mac)
12 World Turning (Fleetwood Mac)
13 Blue Letter (Fleetwood Mac)
14 Hypnotized (Fleetwood Mac)

https://www.upload.ee/files/15182007/FleetwodMc_1975f_TrddNosselStdiosWallingfrdCT__9-23-1975_atse.zip.html

I know that since this was recorded in a recording studio, a photo of the band playing on an outdoor stage doesn't fit. But I had a hard time finding a good color photo of the band on stage in 1975. This was the best one I could find that shows most of the band members. It's from a concert in San Diego.

Actually, looking back at the original images just now, I see that I had two San Diego concert photos. Linsay Buckingham was out of view on the best one, so I took him from the other one and Photoshopped him into this one. Sorry about that, but like I said, it's really hard to find good color photos of all of them together on stage in 1975.

3 comments:

  1. I believe the one from the Capitol in Passaic was actually recorded at the Beacon Theater In NYC. Because I was there. I got the show on a bootleg in early 1976 and as soon as I heard the between song banter I remembered it. I played it for my brother who went to the show too. He agreed that it sounded like the show we went to. I remember the microphone shriek during Rhiannon because Stevie made a face when it happened. Also her comments after Landslide were the exact ones she made that night and only her and Lindsey were on stage during it. My brother and I followed the Mac since 1968 and after the show that night, we knew this band would be BIG!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This one is great. Nicks's voice at the end of Green Manalishi is absolutely haunting...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Remembering the late Christine McVie... Can't believe I found this! I was there... sitting on the floor literally at the band's feet. One of my greatest musical memories. (right up there with meeting Jimi Hendrix). The quality of this recording really brought it all back. Maybe my youth wasn't all that miss-spent after all!
    RIP Christine..

    ReplyDelete