Friday, August 14, 2026

Various Artists - The Best of the Rest, Volume 2, Ebbets Field, Denver, CO, 1974-1975

And so we come to almost the last album of live music from Ebbets Field radio broadcasts. (I say almost because there's at least one exception coming up, hopefully, but more about that later.) As I explained with "The Best of the Rest, Volume 1," there are four obscure and now out of print official albums collecting songs from many different Ebbets Field concerts. I've removed the ones that ended up on full concerts I've posted here, and sorted what remained in chronological order. So here's the second volume of that. 

"Volume 1" dealt with songs from 1973 and 1974 concerts. This continues with 1974 and 1975 ones. The Ebbets Field venue didn't close until mid-1977, but this doesn't have anything from 1976 or 1977 on it.  

Once again, this album contains many musical acts that weren't that popular at the time, because they were only performing at a venue that held a maximum of 250 people. Yet many other musical acts from this era have been forgotten, while most of these still have loyal fan bases. The management of the venue really had a knack for booking quality acts, and quality tends to be remembered. 

Anyway, I mentioned there's one more album coming. That's because a commenter recently told me he has the full Wendy Waldman concert from this venue. So hopefully I'll be able to post that soon. Once again, if anyone else has recordings from this venue, please do share! In my search for recordings from this venue, I came across a mention that at one point a couple of decades ago in the pre-Internet era, there was a (now defunct) music store in the Denver area that somehow got access to the entire trove of radio broadcasts from this venue and was selling them as bootlegs. So I'm fairly certain a lot more of these recordings ARE "out there" but maybe have never been converted to digital format. (That's the case with the Waldman one.) Please help bring them into public circulation!

I'd especially love to have the full broadcasts of the musical acts on these "Best of the Rest" volumes, because they're often the types of acts that have only been rarely bootlegged with worthy sound quality. Actually, sometimes never bootlegged at all. They're also the kinds of acts that often don't have official live albums either.

This album is 53 minutes long.

01 Grits Ain't Groceries - Soul Jones (Wet Willie)
02 Playing My Music (Papa John Creach)
03 Mas Zacate (El Chicano)
04 Thirsty Boots (Eric Andersen)
05 No Regrets (Tom Rush)
06 Lovin' You (Minnie Riperton)
07 Down So Low (Tracy Nelson)
08 Mercedes Benz (Goose Creek Symphony)
09 You Can Only Say So Much (Michael Murphey)
10 You Tell Me Why (Beau Brummels)
11 Ninety Miles an Hour [Down a Dead End Street] (Katy Moffatt)

https://pixeldrain.com/u/2wQqPamk

alternate: 

https://bestfile.io/en/XrsrSfUMYtMWSKP/file

Like "The Best of the Rest, Volume 1," I wanted to do something different for the cover art. As I mentioned for that album, there are very, very few photos that can be found on the Internet showing the inside of the Ebbets Field venue. But I found this one from a Runaways concert in 1976 that shows much of the stage, and more. Once again, one can see some of the bleacher seats with orange shag carpeting. And you can see some of the area above the stage. If you look closely, some of the amplifiers have the words "ListenUp" on them, since that was the company providing the professional recording for these radio broadcasts.

Unfortunately, I don't have any audio recording from any Runaways concert here, just this photo. 

No comments:

Post a Comment