I have to admit that, probably like a majority of Prince's fans, I haven't closely followed his entire career. If you look at the crowd-sourced ratings of the albums he released in his lifetime, all the really highly rated ones are from between 1979 and 1995. So I figure 1993 is a good time for a concert from him, as it can be kind of a greatest hits of his best songs from his most popular and creative era. This is the best sounding concert I found from that year. It's a soundboard.
At the time of this concert, Prince's most recent album was released in late 1992. It was his second album with his band at the time, the New Power Generation. I wish I could tell you the album name, but the "title" was an unpronounceable symbol. However, it later generally became known as "Love Symbol." (By the end of 1993, Prince claimed this symbol was his new name, due to a dispute he was having with his record company. The media responded by generally calling him "The Artist Formerly Known as Prince." He returned to calling himself "Prince" in 2000, when he finally was able to change record companies.)
Anyway, Prince didn't release a new studio album in 1993. This was very unusual for him, since he was extremely prolific. However, on September 10, 1993, he released a double album greatest hits collection called "The Hits." If you check the concert date, that was one week after this concert. He played two songs that were first released on that greatest hits: "Pope" and "Peach."
There's just a couple of notes about the songs performed. When you see "When Doves Cry" in the song list, don't get too excited. It's only about ten seconds of the introductory chords before switching to another song. However, he played nearly all of his other big hits he'd had up until that time. A few other songs also are short snippets.
And "talk by Mayte" is a spoken message entirely in German. I don't know what was said, since I don't speak German. But I do know who Mayte is. She joined his backing band, the New Power Generation, in 1992, when she turned 18 years old. She was born and raised in Germany, which explains her speaking in German to the German audience. She and Prince married in 1996 and stayed married for four years.
The music is unreleased. The sound quality is excellent.
This album is an hour and 41 minutes long.
01 My Name Is Prince (Prince)
02 Sexy MF - Love 2 the 9's (Prince)
03 The Beautiful Ones (Prince)
04 Let's Go Crazy (Prince)
05 Kiss (Prince)
06 Irresistible Bitch (Prince)
07 She's Always in My Hair (Prince)
08 Raspberry Beret (Prince)
09 The Cross (Prince)
10 Sign O' the Times (Prince)
11 Purple Rain (Prince)
12 Thunder - When Doves Cry (Prince)
13 Nothing Compares 2 U (Prince)
14 And God Created Woman [Instrumental] (Prince)
15 Diamonds and Pearls (Prince)
16 Venus de Milo [Instrumental] (Prince)
17 I Love U in Me (Prince)
18 Strollin' (Prince)
19 Scandalous (Prince)
20 talk (Prince)
21 Girls and Boys (Prince)
22 Arabic Intro [Instrumental] (Prince)
23 7 (Prince)
24 talk by Mayte (Prince)
25 1999 (Prince)
26 Baby I'm a Star (Prince)
27 Rock the House - America [Instrumental] (Prince)
28 D.M.S.R. (Prince)
29 Gett Off (Prince)
30 Pope (Prince)
31 It's Gonna Be a Beautiful Night [Instrumental Version] (Prince)
32 Peach (Prince)
https://pixeldrain.com/u/dUa3ZiAE
alternate:
https://bestfile.io/xBuo7cZdXDWdtAu/file
The cover image is the only one I could find that I knew for sure is from this exact concert.

Trying to find a way to contact you privately, but I cannot. I have searched in vein for years for a recording of Bettye LaVette singing Last Chance Lost at Michael Dorf Presents The Music Of Joni Mitchell at Carnegie Hall NYC Feb 09, 2006 . Perhaps you and your other live show diggers could come up with it. It would be greatly appreciated. I saw and heard it, the press LOVED it, and we cannot even remember how it went!
ReplyDeleteHere's my email if you want to contact me privately: thompson22 @ runbox . com (remove the spaces). Unfortunately though, I can't help you here. I did some searching just now, and I can't find even a hint of any bootleg recording of this concert. Very unusual. :( If you ever find it, I'd love to post the whole thing here.
DeleteThanx a lot. I will send if I find. I've searched Dime, Sugarmegs, dbetree, no luck. I just figured with all of the live community that you may know some places I don't know about. Did you read the archived reviews of the show? It was something!
DeleteThank you
ReplyDelete