It seems this concert took place in two stages on the same day. In the first stage, a bunch of less famous acts performed in the United Nations waiting room. This is a smaller venue, just outside of the General Assembly, where the U.N. diplomats meet and vote. These acts, all the ones included here, played to a relatively small crowd. I'm not sure if I have all of these acts. I did find a mention on the Internet that Poco also performed, but I couldn't find a recording of their set. So it's possible there were others I missed as well. If anyone has more, please let me know.
All the music here was broadcast live on a local radio station, which is why we have this with excellent sound quality. The downside though was that since it was a "radiothon" meant to raise money, there were very frequent appeals for donations. The phone number to call was pitched often, practically between every song. So I carefully edited all that out, since those appeals and that phone number are now defunct. I also had to do a lot of editing of the applause, because talkative DJs typically spoke mere moments after each song ended. But I think I was able to patch in enough applause, from spots where some applause was allowed, to make this sound coherent.
Also, for most of these musical acts, there were interviews, usually lasting a few minutes, right in the middle of each performance. I cut all those out. I want this to have replay value, and those interviews weren't so interesting. Most of these performances are solo acoustic in nature, but not all of them.
By the way, here's the link to the 1988 United Nations concert:
https://albumsthatshouldexist.blogspot.com/2024/06/various-artists-children-of-americas.html
If anyone has these concerts from any other years (with worthy sound quality), please let me know and I'll try to post those as well.
As far as I know, these recordings have been very rare. I haven't seen them on any of the usual bootleg sharing sites. So hopefully this posting will get the music to a wider audience.
This album is an hour and 45 minutes long.
01 Dance with Me Baby (Southside Johnny)
02 Little Calcutta (Southside Johnny)
03 talk (Southside Johnny)
04 Trapped Again (Southside Johnny)
05 The Horses (Rickie Lee Jones)
06 talk (Rickie Lee Jones)
07 On Saturday Afternoons in 1963 (Rickie Lee Jones)
08 Roland the Headless Thompson Gunner (Warren Zevon)
09 talk (Warren Zevon)
10 Boom Boom Mancini (Warren Zevon)
11 Splendid Isolation (Warren Zevon)
12 talk (Warren Zevon)
13 Werewolves of London (Warren Zevon with Paul Schaffer)
14 Rock and Roll Music to the World (Ten Years After)
15 Victim of Circumstance (Ten Years After)
16 I'm Going Home (Ten Years After)
17 talk (Ten Years After)
18 Choo Choo Mama (Ten Years After)
19 Drown in My Own Tears (David Bromberg)
20 talk (David Bromberg)
21 Summer Wages (David Bromberg)
22 Testify (David Bromberg)
23 Big Man on Paper (Graham Parker)
24 talk (Graham Parker)
25 Green Monkeys (Graham Parker)
26 talk (Graham Parker)
27 Slash and Burn (Graham Parker)
28 talk (Richie Havens)
29 They Dance Alone (Richie Havens)
30 Lives in the Balance (Richie Havens)
https://pixeldrain.com/u/dLb4xQLc
alternate:
https://bestfile.io/jPQOkylaOVIlt2r/file
I couldn't find ANY photos of any musicians performing in this concert. However, I did find some art relating to it, so I used that. The cover image here is from a T-shirt with a design created by famous artist Peter Max, especially for this concert. The text at the bottom is mostly the same, but I made some changes, especially adding all the text in red.

Finally, some Rickie Lee Jones music here at ATSE! Nice! Ok, I know it's just two tracks, but that's like a hundred lawyers at the bottom of the ocean...
ReplyDelete