I think Les Paul isn't as well known as he should be today, because he made his considerable mark on music before the rock and roll era ever began. Here's the intro to his Wikipedia entry:
"Les Paul was an American jazz, country, and blues guitarist, songwriter, luthier, and inventor. He was one of the pioneers of the solid-body electric guitar... and served as inspiration for the Gibson Les Paul. While he is mainly known for jazz and popular music, he had an early career in country music. In the 1950s, he and his wife, singer and guitarist Mary Ford, made numerous recordings, selling millions of copies. Paul is credited with many recording innovations. His early experiments with overdubbing, delay effects such as tape delay, phasing, and multitrack recording were among the first to attract widespread attention. His licks, trills, chording sequences, fretting techniques, and timing set him apart from his contemporaries and inspired many guitarists of the present day. Among his many honors, Paul is one of a handful of artists with a permanent exhibit in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. [He] is the only inductee in both the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame and the National Inventors Hall of Fame."
In this concert, Paul played lead guitar on some instrumentals by himself. He also served as the emcee, introducing the guest stars. He then played guitar for some of the guest stars as well.
This is that was broadcast on the Cinemax TV channel. Maybe this is all of it, or maybe there was more, I don't know. You can find the video of this on YouTube. However, this has never been officially released in any audio format.
This album is exactly one hour long.
01 How High the Moon [Instrumental] (Les Paul)
02 talk (Les Paul)
03 Lover [When You're Near Me] [Instrumental] (Les Paul)
04 talk (Les Paul & Eddie Van Halen)
05 Echo Tribune - Back Pain Boogie [Instrumental] (Eddie Van Halen)
06 talk (Les Paul)
07 Every Day I Have the Blues (B.B. King)
08 talk (Les Paul & B.B. King)
09 It Happens (Carly Simon)
10 talk (Les Paul & Carly Simon)
11 talk (Les Paul)
12 God Bless the Child (Steve Miller)
13 talk (Les Paul)
14 Am I Blue (Rita Coolidge)
15 Somewhere Over the Rainbow [Instrumental] (Les Paul)
16 talk (Les Paul)
17 It's Been a Long, Long Time [Instrumental] (Les Paul)
18 Deep in the Blues [Instrumental] (David Gilmour)
19 talk (Les Paul & David Gilmour)
20 talk (Les Paul & Stanley Jordan)
21 Georgia on My Mind [Instrumental] (Stanley Jordan)
22 talk (Les Paul & Waylon Jennings)
23 I Really Don't Want to Know (Waylon Jennings)
24 Blue Suede Shoes (Stray Cats & Everyone)
25 How High the Moon [Instrumental] (Everyone)
26 Vaya con Dios [Instrumental] (Everyone)
https://pixeldrain.com/u/JHeRRgbe
alternate:
https://bestfile.io/en/bI4yBNMPj5h56H8/file
I assume the cover photo was taken either before or after the concert. From left to right, top row: B.B. King, Waylon Jennings, and Eddie Van Halen. In the middle is Les Paul. Left to right, bottom row: Stanley Jordan and Steve Miller.
Oh, by the way, I have some very good choices for the cover art. In addition to the one I chose, I've included two more in the download zip. One shows Les Paul with Eddie Van Halen, and the other shows most of the big name stars playing together for the finale.

No comments:
Post a Comment