Saturday, November 16, 2019

The Velvet Underground - Temptation Inside Your Heart - Non-Album Tracks (1967-1968)

Here's the second of my stray tracks collections for the Velvet Underground. This deals with the tail end of Nico's involvement in the band, as well as the remaining time for John Cale.

Nico is only on the first two songs. They're from her 1967 solo album "Chelsea Girls." About half of the songs on that album were actually performed with all of the Velvet Underground: these two songs, plus a few more that I put at the end of the previous stray tracks album.

A couple of songs here - "Stephanie Says" and "Temptation Inside Your Heart" - appeared on the acclaimed collection "VU." That collection is generally seen as the band's "lost 1969 album." But in fact, these two songs are from February 1968, before the "White Light/White Heat" album was released, so they belong here.

There are two officially released versions of the song "Hey Mr. Rain." But personally I don't see a big difference between the two songs, and I don't think it's a stellar song in the first place, so I've only included one version.

01 Chelsea Girls (Nico & the Velvet Underground)
02 It Was a Pleasure Then (Nico & the Velvet Underground)
03 Guess I'm Falling in Love [Edit] (Velvet Underground)
04 Booker T. [Instrumental] (Velvet Underground)
05 I'm Not a Young Man Anymore (Velvet Underground)
06 Stephanie Says (Velvet Underground)
07 Temptation Inside Your Heart (Velvet Underground)
08 Hey Mr. Rain [Version One] (Velvet Underground)

https://www.imagenetz.de/iVz5f

The album cover art comes from a 1968 concert poster. Or at least it might be. I'm not sure if it's a "real" poster from that year, or if it's something made years later. It has Andy Warhol in the photo, and of course he was only "producing" the band, not actually in it. And the photo also has Nico in it, and she was long gone by 1968. But in any case, I think it's really nice artwork. I changed the color of the band name to make it stick out.

2 comments:

  1. Brilliant idea to sync up the live "falling in love" with the studio instrumental! I tried this before and wasn't as successful

    ReplyDelete