Monday, November 4, 2019

Aimee Mann - At the Edge of the World - Non-Album Tracks (2005-2009)

Here's the next in my serious of Aimee Mann stray tracks albums. Even though it's a grab bag of songs from all sorts of sources, Mann has high and consistent standards.

All but four of the songs here have been officially released. Of the four, three of them come from a concert in 2007 celebrating and performing the Beatles' "Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band" album. Mann played two songs from that album, "Fixing a Hole" and "Lovely Rita," plus "Blackbird" from the Beatles' "White Album." Unfortunately, the sound quality of those three songs are a bit below the rest. But they're still good enough for inclusion. The other unreleased song is a cover of Elton John's "My Father's Gun." It was played on a British TV show, and sounds fine.

Regarding the other songs, most of them come from various artists collections, as well as duets that appeared on other artists' albums. The last two, "Engine Driver" and "Salvation," come from an mp3 collection called "Rarities" that was posted for sale on Mann's website in 2009 but has since disappeared. There were a lot of other interesting songs on that collection, but I've included all the unique songs on this or earlier stray tracks collections by going to the original sources.

The bonus track, "Walking on a Dream" is a duet of Mann and Ben Lee of a song by the band Empire of the Sun. They only played this a couple of times in concert in Australia in 2009. Unfortunately, I had to include it as a bonus track because the sound quality is a clear notch below all the others.

01 Who Knows (Aimee Mann)
02 Blackbird (Aimee Mann)
03 Fixing a Hole (Aimee Mann)
04 Lovely Rita (Aimee Mann)
05 At the Edge of the World (Aimee Mann & Zach Gill)
06 Once I Loved [Amor Em Paz] (Till Brönner & Aimee Mann)
07 Lullaby (Aimee Mann)
08 Hearts (Tim & Eric with Aimee Mann)
09 My Father's Gun (Aimee Mann)
10 Too Many People (Aimee Mann)
11 Engine Driver (Aimee Mann & the Decemberists)
12 Salvation (Aimee Mann)

Walking on a Dream (Aimee Mann & Ben Lee)

https://www.imagenetz.de/gSVRn

The cover art photo uses a photo of Mann in concert in 2005.

3 comments:

  1. Hi Paul! This is Mattia, from Italy. I stumbled upon your blog while looking for Aimee's rarities, which I just discovered. I've been a fan of her work since 2005 but I never knew that she put this bundle online back in the days! This album is practically unobtainable, and I see your link expired... would you be so kind so either re-upload the tracks or tell me how can I get them? Thank you very much anyway!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The link looks like it's still working to me. I suggest you try a VPN (virtual private network). Or, I also share the files through the free file sharing program SoulseekQT.

      Delete
    2. You were right, I used a VPN and I was able to access the link. Thank you!

      Delete