Like I mentioned yesterday, I think this is a really underrated band. If you like music from this era, I strongly recommend you give this a listen.
As an aside, the person who is releasing the Matthews collection, Charlie Miller, hasn't dropped many hints of what's coming. But he has already posted a few concerts from the Family Dog at the Great Highway venue, and I noticed yesterday that he posted a photo of some reels of Dan Hicks and His Hot Links concerts still coming from there. It seems increasingly likely that we'll be getting more music from that venue (though his collection is sourced from many other venues as well).
So I looked up the venue at setlist.fm. It was only in operation for about a year, from June 1969 to December 1970. Here's a list of all the musical acts that performed there during that time, and the number of concerts they did in parentheses. This list very well may be incomplete, but it should give us a general idea. I checked bootleg sharing sites, and it seems all of this music has been unheard by the public so far, with the exception of a bunch of concerts by the Grateful Dead (and spin-off acts like Mickey and the Hartbeats, and Ron "Pigpen" McKernan), a few by Commander Cody and His Lost Planet Airmen, and two by Jefferson Airplane. Let's hope we can hear a lot more of these in the months to come:
New Riders of the Purple Sage (18)
Grateful Dead (16)
Charlie Musselwhite (9)
Commander Cody & His Lost Planet Airmen (9)
The Elvin Bishop Group (8)
Jefferson Airplane (7)
A.B. Skhy (6)
It’s a Beautiful Day (5)
Big Brother & the Holding Company (5)
Quicksilver Messenger Service (4)
Albert Collins (4)
The Velvet Underground (4)
Hot Tuna (4)
The Sons of Champlin (4)
Harvey Mandel (3)
The Fourth Way (3)
The Kinks (3)
Poco (3)
The Golden Toad (3)
Lonnie Mack (3)
David LaFlamme (3)
The Congress of Wonders (3)
Danny Cox (3)
The Rhythm Dukes (3)
Zoot Money (3)
Canned Heat (3)
The Youngbloods (3)
Dan Hicks and His Hot Licks (2)
Kaleidoscope (2)
Steve Miller Band (2)
Joy of Cooking (2)
Ron "Pigpen" McKernan (1)
Tower of Power (1)
Johnny Mars (1)
The New Lost City Ramblers (1)
Cleveland Wrecking Co. (1)
The Charlatans (1)
Floating Bridge (1)
Santana (1)
Brewer & Shipley (1)
Mickey & the Hartbeats (1)
Aum (1)
Beggars Opera (1)
Womb (1)
This album is 40 minutes long.
01 Laugh, Don't Laugh [Instrumental Version] (Joy of Cooking)
02 Red Wine at Noon (Joy of Cooking)
03 Piece of Paper (Joy of Cooking)
04 talk (Joy of Cooking)
05 Laugh, Don't Laugh (Joy of Cooking)
06 Did You Go Downtown (Joy of Cooking)
07 talk (Joy of Cooking)
08 Bad Luck Blues (Joy of Cooking)
https://pixeldrain.com/u/evCm7bY2
alternate:
https://bestfile.io/en/XRcG30Y7eRjRdrz/file
Like I mentioned in the Joy of Cooking post I made yesterday, I could find almost no photos of this band playing in concert. However, I found a YouTube video of them from around 1970, and I took some screenshots. The one I posted yesterday, highlighted one of their lead singers, Toni Brown, on keyboards. This one shows the back of Brown, but has more of a highlight on the other lead singer, guitarist Terry Garthwaite. I used the Ask Gemini program to improve the image quality.

No comments:
Post a Comment