Friday, September 25, 2026

The Joy of Cooking - Family Dog at the Great Highway, San Francisco, CA, 8-1-1970

Here's another previously unknown fantastic sounding bootleg from the Bob Matthews collection. This time, it's a concert by the Joy of Cooking. (Technically, their name doesn't include the "the".) If you're not familiar with them, I'm not surprised. They only had one minor hit in the early 1970s, in the U.S., and that didn't get close to the Top Forty. But if you like music from this time period, you really should check them out. I think they're excellent. I've been wanting to post something from them for a long time, but just never got around to it. This new release gives me the perfect opportunity.

Here's the intro to their Wikipedia entry:

"Joy of Cooking was an American music ensemble formed in 1967 in Berkeley, California. Associated with the hippie culture, the band's music combined rock and roll with folk, blues, and jazz. The band released three studio albums on Capitol Records in the early 1970s as well as a minor hit single in 1971, "Brownsville." Led by guitarist Terry Garthwaite and pianist Toni Brown, who both shared lead vocals, Joy of Cooking was a rare example of a rock band fronted by women."

I can't emphasize that last point enough. There were quite a few musical acts led by women in the early 1970s, especially in soul music or the singer-songwriter genre. But there were very few in the rock genre. Garthwaite and Brown wrote songs, were excellent singers, and were very talented at their instruments to boot. In my opinion, they should have been much more popular than they were. Maybe part of the problem, in addition to the usual sexism in the industry, is that they weren't around for long. They only released three albums together, in 1970, 1971, and 1972. Garthwaite and Brown did tour together some after that into the late 1970s, and put out a couple other albums together also, but they lost a lot of momentum because they didn't keep using the Joy of Cooking name.

Note this album is relatively short, because they were the opening act for It's a Beautiful Day. (Let's hope the Bob Matthews collection releases that too.) But they returned to perform again one night later, and that also has been newly released. A good number of the songs are different, so I plan on posting that one here as well.

I didn't have to edit much here. The sound is fantastic, as good as you could hope for from that era. 

This album is 43 minutes long.

01 Brownsville - Mockingbird (Joy of Cooking)
02 First Time, Last Time (Joy of Cooking)
03 Too Late, but Not Forgotten (Joy of Cooking)
04 Piece of Paper (Joy of Cooking)
05 talk (Joy of Cooking)
06 If Some God [Sometimes You Gotta Go Home] (Joy of Cooking)
07 Red Wine at Noon (Joy of Cooking)
08 Pilot (Joy of Cooking)
09 Laugh, Don't Laugh (Joy of Cooking)

https://pixeldrain.com/u/67WGgHF8

alternate:

https://bestfile.io/en/oKPPiV6noM9PI11/file 

The cover image shows Toni Brown. There are very few images of the band in concert. Luckily, I did find a YouTube video of them performing "Brownsville" for a TV station. I took this screenshot from that. It was rather low-res, so I used the Ask Gemini program to improve the detail level.

1 comment: