Friday, August 18, 2023

Isle of Wight Festival, Afton Down, Isle of Wight, Britain, 8-27-1970 to 8-30-1970 - 8-28-1970: Part 1: Taste

Yesterday, I posted all the music with high sound quality I could find from the first two days of the 1970 Isle of Wight Festival. There wasn't much of it, and nearly all of it was from the second day, August 27, 1970. Today, I'm going to post all the worthy music from the third day, August 28, 1970. This time, the acts were more famous, and a lot more music has survived.

Here's a list of all the acts who played on August 28th, in order of their appearances:

Fairfield Parlour (a.k.a. Kaleidoscope)
Arrival
Lighthouse
Taste
Tony Joe White
Chicago
Family
Procol Harum
Voices of East Harlem
Cactus

I have at least one song from every act except for Lighthouse and the Voices of East Harlem. In most cases, as you'll soon see, I have the full sets. This album is dominated by the full set by Taste, the Irish blues rock band led by lead guitarist and vocalist Rory Gallagher. 

Additionally, I have music by Fairfield Parlour and Arrival, but unfortunately only one song each. 

Fairfield Parlour, by the way, is really the band Kaleidoscope. I've posted some albums by them on my music blog. They changed their name in 1970 despite no change in band personnel, apparently in an effort to get a fresh start with public perceptions. It's a real shame that there's only one song by this band. I really like them, but it seems no concert recordings exist in the public domain from their late 1960s/early 1970s heyday, bootleg or officially released, other than this one song. It seems likely their full Isle of Wight set still exists in the vaults. Let's hope all of it gets released someday.

I don't know much about the British band Arrival. Wikipedia describes them as a "close harmony pop-rock band." They had two hits in Britain in early 1970, "Friends" and "I Will Survive." They put out an album in 1970 and another in 1972, then broke up.

Finally, there's the main act featured here, Taste. This trio had been in existence since 1968, but at the time of the festival they were on the verge of breaking up. This ended up being one of their last concerts, but they went out with a bang. The band liked their performance so much that they released much of it as an official album a year later, called "Live at the Isle of Wight." The complete performance was eventually released in 2015. Furthermore, some filmmakers were filming parts of the festival in order to make a music documentary. They were supposed to film only one or two songs from lesser known acts like Taste in order to save on the costs of the expensive film stock, but they were so impressed with the performance that they wound up filming nearly the entire set. So that can be found on DVD. 

Despite the Taste set being released, I still thought the lead vocals were low in the mix. So I fixed that using the audio editing program UVR5.

Here's what Rory Gallagher later had to say about Taste at the festival: "I remember playing the Isle of Wight Festival and we weren't talking to each other then. We took the ferry across [from Ireland to England], and we put on a reasonable show and got a great reaction, but musically it was all over between us."

Also, here's what Peter Daltrey of Fairfield Parlour / Kaleidoscope has said about the festival:

"All I remember is the view from the stage: the endless blue sky, the endless audience, the thousands camped for free on the rolling hills to the right, the heat, the clouds of red dust, Joan Baez wandering by looking stunning, the movie camera thrust in my face as I was told our set was to be cut in half, the terror, the sublime lift after the first wave of applause, the evenings in the Red Indian camp with the fires burning, the thump of distant music, crouching below the stage waiting for the nod so I could leap up and be allowed to play an acoustic 'Let the World Wash In' to half a million hippies, the leaden realization that we'd been conned and ripped off and stuffed and abused by the [festival promoters] brothers Farr, the sleepless nights of total physical and mental exhaustion, breakfast at Herbie Snowball's hotel in Shanklin -- and returning there thirty years later on a family holiday and standing across the road and looking up at the window where three decades earlier a young man once stared at the orange moon... No, I don't recall much."

This album is an hour and 26 minutes long.

01 Soldiers of Flesh (Fairfield Parlour [Kaleidoscope])
02 Not Right Now (Arrival)
03 What's Going On (Taste)
04 talk (Taste)
05 Sugar Mama (Taste)
06 talk (Taste)
07 Morning Sun (Taste)
08 talk (Taste)
09 Gambling Blues (Taste)
10 Sinner Boy (Taste)
11 I'll Remember (Taste)
12 I Feel So Good (Taste)
13 talk (Taste)
14 Catfish Blues (Taste)
15 Same Old Story (Taste)
16 talk (Taste)
17 Blister on the Moon (Taste)

https://www.upload.ee/files/15582175/IsleofWghtFestivlAftnDwnIsleofWghtBrtain__8-28-1970_Pt1Taste.zip.html

The cover photo of Rory Gallagher comes from this exact concert. 

Note that when it comes to the text on the cover, I'm using the same font as the one used for the headline of the Isle of Wight concert poster. I'm using color coding to help separate the festival into different days: red for August 27th, blue for August 28th, green for August 29th, and yellow for August 30th.

4 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing the image on this page.
    It was taken by my Father-in-Law Charles Everest, who was there at the event that weekend.
    More of his photos from the event can be found at the link below and are all ©cameronlife
    www.cameronlife.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm pretty sure that the Fairfield Parlour set was recorded. My friend Bob Fisher was MD at Sanctuary Records for a while and had access to unreleased recordings from the 1970 IOW Festival. As a major Fairfield Parlour/Kaleidoscope fan, I asked him if Fairfield Parlour was amongst those recordings - and they were. Unfortunately I didn't get a copy - I can't remember why.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Damn! I really wish you would have gotten a copy. Is it too late? Do you have any of the festival that I don't have? I'd like to post as much of it as possible.

      Delete
    2. I wish I'd got it too! One of my greatest "wants". No, unfortunately I don't have any IOW material to add to your hoard.

      Delete