Thursday, August 3, 2023

Beck - Morning Becomes Eclectic, KCRW, Santa Monica, CA, 1993-1994

I've posted so many albums of Beck performing for the KCRW "Morning Becomes Eclectic" radio show (with more to come) that I decided I should go back and post the ones he did in the early years of his career. I hadn't done that before, because he played many otherwise unreleased songs on those shows, and I used those on some of the stray tracks albums I've made. But I figure it won't be the end of the world if I have the same performance on two albums every now and then.

Beck performed on this show five times between 1993 and 1996, generally in acoustic mode. For one of those shows, he apparently only did the song "Whiskeyfaced, Radioactive, Blowdryin' Lady," on September 13, 1993. I can't find that anywhere, so if you have it please pass it on and I'll add it in. I've divided the other shows into two albums. 

The first seven tracks here are from a July 23, 1993 show. His single "Loser" had been released in March 1993, and had been slowly gaining enough traction for him to get an appearance on a radio show like this. But it wouldn't be until 1994 when it really caught fire and made it to the Top Ten in the U.S. I cut out all of the interview dialogue between songs for all these shows. However, this version of "Loser" was preceded by a recording of Woody Guthrie talking that Beck had selected to lead into the song, so I kept that.

The remaining tracks are from a show on March 1, 1994. One more song was played, "Beercan." But that actually was just an airing of the record version, and the KCRW DJ talked over much of it before cutting it off halfway, due to the end of the radio show, so I didn't include that. What is included was all played live in the studio, though there were some backing tracks in some cases, and one song, "Howling Wolves," had been prerecorded earlier that day.

This album is 46 minutes long.

01 Loser Intro- Woody Guthrie Speaking (Beck)
02 Loser (Beck)
03 Mexico (Beck)
04 Death Is Coming to Get You (Beck)
05 Whimsical Actress (Beck)
06 Pay No Mind [Snoozer] (Beck)
07 MTV Makes Me Want to Smoke Crack (Beck)
08 Bogusflow (Beck)
09 Dead Man with No Heart (Beck)
10 Hard to Compete (Beck)
11 Howling Wolves (Beck)
12 It's All in Your Mind (Beck)
13 Totally Confused [Edit] (Beck)
14 It's All Gonna Come to Be (Beck)

https://www.upload.ee/files/15532327/BeckH_1993-1994_MornngBcomesEclectcKCRStdiosSntaMonicaCA__1993-1994_atse.zip.html

The cover photo is from one of Beck's appearances in the KCRW studios in the 1990's. I'm pretty sure it's from either the 1993 or 1994 shows, due to his changing fashion sense in those years. The photo was in black and white, but I used the Palette program to colorize it, then made some further changes to get the colors more to my liking.

1 comment:

  1. KCRW just re-pub'd them all for the anniversary of his debut appearance:
    https://www.kcrw.com/music/shows/music-special/beck-live-1993-odelay-loser-mbe-30th-annniversary

    ReplyDelete