Friday, August 4, 2023

Beck - Morning Becomes Eclectic, KCRW Studios, Santa Monica, CA, 11-7-2017

I'm really determined to post all the performances Beck did on the KCRW "Morning Becomes Eclectic" radio show. I'm finally almost there. As I write this in 2023, I just have one more to go after this one.

In October 2017, Beck released the studio album "Colors." Personally, I'm not a big fan of the album. Many other Beck fans feel the same way, because at the crowd-sourced rateyourmusic.com website, it's one of his lowest rated albums. I think a big problem with it is that it was overproduced. Here's what one reviewer said at rateyourmusic, and I totally agree: "Not helping is how absolutely over-produced this thing sounds - every sound is so cleanly cropped it all just has this gross, artificial sound that's about as far from sounding organic as one can go."

The good news that the songs sound much better in this KCRW concert. Being forced to play live means you have to leave most production techniques behind. One problem though was that his voice was relatively buried in the mix. But I used the UVR5 audio editing program to bring his voice forward. 

So even if you don't like "Colors," you might like this one. Mixed in with a bunch of "Colors" songs are a few older ones, like "Devil's Haircut" and "Nausea."

The last two songs are not actually from this KCRW concert. They're from concerts in 2018. But I liked then and didn't have a better place to put them in my music collection, so I stuck them at the end.

This album is 40 minutes long. Just the KCRW portion is 32 minutes long.

01 Dreams (Beck)
02 Up All Night (Beck)
03 Think I'm in Love - I Feel Love (Beck)
04 Devil's Haircut (Beck)
05 Wow (Beck)
06 Colors (Beck)
07 Go It Alone (Beck)
08 Nausea (Beck)
09 Black Tambourine (Beck)
10 I'm So Free (Beck)
11 Seventh Heaven (Beck)

https://www.upload.ee/files/15528705/BeckH_2017_MornngBecomesEclecticSantaMonicaCA__11-7-2017_atse.zip.html

The cover photo comes from the KCRW website and comes from this exact concert.

No comments:

Post a Comment