Sunday, January 21, 2024

Marshall Crenshaw - The Human Jukebox, Volume 7: 2002-2009

Here's the seventh volume of Marshall Crenshaw performing cover songs that weren't on his studio albums. There are two more to go.

Only five of the 15 songs have been officially released. Those five are "I'm Barely Hangin' on to Me " (from a Johnny Paycheck tribute album), "Love Me Do" (from a Beatles tribute album), "(It's Going to Be A) Lonely Christmas" (from a Christmas-themed various artists compilation), and "Don't Leave Me This Way" (from a Ricky Nelson tribute album).

All the remaining songs are from concert bootlegs. The sound quality is generally high, with most of these soundboard recordings. I used audio editing software to remove the crowd noise wherever possible.

By the way, the song "Walk Hard" isn't actually a cover. Crenshaw wrote that as the theme song to the funny 2007 movie "Walk Hard: the Dewey Cox Story." However, in the movie and on the movie soundtrack the song was performed by the lead actor, John C. Reilly. Crenshaw never released a version of his own. This version comes from a concert bootleg.

This album is 49 minutes long.

Here's a list of the original artists for each song:

01 Taxman - Beatles
02 I've Gotta Be Me - Sammy Davis Jr.
03 Love You To - Beatles
04 You're a Wonderful One - Marvin Gaye
05 I'm Barely Hangin' on to Me - Johnny Paycheck
06 I Believe to My Soul - Ray Charles
07 Ticket to Ride - Beatles
08 Love Me Do - Beatles
09 [It's Going to Be A] Lonely Christmas  - Orioles
10 19th Nervous Breakdown - Rolling Stones
11 Twenty Four Hours from Tulsa - Gene Pitney
12 Don't Leave Me This Way - Ricky Nelson
13 Walk Hard [Demo] - John C. Reilly
14 Don't Look Back - Fine Young Cannibals
15 Didn't Want to Have to Do It - Lovin' Spoonful

Here's the usual song list:

01 Taxman (Marshall Crenshaw)
02 I've Gotta Be Me (Marshall Crenshaw)
03 Love You To (Marshall Crenshaw)
04 You're a Wonderful One (Marshall Crenshaw)
05 I'm Barely Hangin' on to Me (Marshall Crenshaw)
06 I Believe to My Soul (Marshall Crenshaw)
07 Ticket to Ride (Marshall Crenshaw)
08 Love Me Do (Marshall Crenshaw)
09 [It's Going to Be A] Lonely Christmas (Marshall Crenshaw)
10 19th Nervous Breakdown (Marshall Crenshaw)
11 Twenty Four Hours from Tulsa (Marshall Crenshaw)
12 Don't Leave Me This Way (Marshall Crenshaw)
13 Walk Hard [Demo] (Marshall Crenshaw)
14 Don't Look Back (Marshall Crenshaw)
15 Didn't Want to Have to Do It (Marshall Crenshaw) 

https://www.upload.ee/files/16191906/MARSHLLCRNSHW2002-2009_ThHumnJkebxVlum7_atse.zip.html

The cover photo is from an appearance at the Grammy Museum in Los Angeles in June 2009.

6 comments:

  1. Do any of the Jukebox Volumes have "When you Walk into the Room" by the Searchers?

    ReplyDelete
  2. thank you for this!. I didn't know this 19th. It's a rolling stones song rarely covered.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Years ago I had a promo single I got from a radio station that had 3 songs, the one I liked the most was Crenshaw doing "When you Walk into the Room" by the Searchers. It disappeared, and I have never been able to find another copy, be it on vinyl or digital.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds like a song he'd do. But when I Googled his name and that song title just now, the only relevant hit I got was our discussion here on this webpage!

      Delete