Thursday, January 25, 2024

More Copyright Trouble

In the past couple of days, I've had two albums taken down here due to copyright violations. One is:

Joni Mitchell - Born to Take the Highway - On TV and Radio (1965-1968)

The other is:
The Clash - Jamaica World Music Festival, Montego Bay, Jamaica, 11-27-1982

These seem very random, especially since I have many other albums by Mitchell and the Clash that are still fine. (The Clash one is especially puzzling, since I thought that concert is totally unreleased.) But of course things could change at any time, and other albums could disappear. I'm always skating on thin ice when it comes to copyright issues. So grab what you can while you can.

In a similar vein, I've run into even more trouble with my YouTube page. As a reminder, that can be found here:

(570) Paul ATSE (Albums That Should Exist) - YouTube

One gets three strikes for copyright violations on YouTube. I recently got two. One was for a Mary Chapin Carpenter album that had been approved and posted for about five months, so again when and why these problems have is very puzzling. But anyway, if one gets a third strikes, then one's entire YouTube page is permanently banned. I had posted about 300 album there so far. I have turned about 250 of those to private mode, so they can't be seen. I'll make them public again if I manage to make it through the three month time period when the strikes are removed from your record. I've kept up some of the most popular ones though, especially Led Zeppelin, Bob Dylan, and the Kinks.

Looking to the future, I'll probably create multiple YouTube channels, so if one gets taken down, the others can still survive. I'm thinking of having different channels for different musical themes. For instance, maybe breaking things up by time periods, such as a channel mainly for 1960s artists, another for the 1970s, another for the 1980s, and so on. Or maybe different genres, like folk, soul, rock, hard rock, etc... Maybe one just from BBC stuff. But I haven't decided yet. If you have any suggestions, please let me know.

7 comments:

  1. The Clash set is particularly odd. That entire festival was recorded and has been on the internet for years.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tell me about it - very odd. The whole thing of which albums get flagged seems totally random. My only guess is that one or more songs appeared on some compilation album. I checked the live compilation album "From Here to Eternity" though, and none of those songs are from that concert.

      Delete
    2. I once had the sale of a CD banned from eBay because it was a cover CD from NME, and according to the estate of Jeff Buckley - who had a track on there - was not supposed to be sold without the original magazine. Pretty random - if my heading hadn't mentioned Buckley, the chances are it would have gone through.

      Delete
  2. I guess the trolls just like to surf and patrol the posts, keeping the world safe from who the f knows what.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm currently having similar issues, and the Mega link to all my albums has been reported for a second time to Mega by a French copyright enforcement company, and has been removed. Once again, it's totally random, as I haven't posted any French albums, and even if I had it wouldn't have been commercially available. I'm also worried about having a third strike and being banned from Mega, so I'm not posting the link any more, but it can be obtained just by emailing me at the email address on the blog and it will be automatically sent.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is rather strange. Could be a random troll reporting the links. I'm thankful for the Soulseek option. Maybe it's time for a private forum/blog. You and pj have a great archive and I hope it will continue to be available. Maybe set something up on archive.org as an alternative too?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I know someone who tried to get an unreleased live recording (that they owned) pulled from YT, but the channel owner contested the claim. At that point, YT just put it back to the person making the claim to serve a legal notice on the infringer and only if that legal notice can be shown to YT as proof do they give a copyright strike. It's a system run on fear. Who is going to pay to activate a lawyer against a random YT channel?

    ReplyDelete