Wednesday, January 3, 2024

Chris Isaak - Beyond the Sun - Alternate Version (2011)

It seems that singer Chris Isaak was born in the wrong era. He managed to be a pretty big star in the 1990s, but due to his musical style, I'm sure he would have been a much bigger star if he'd been of the right age in the 1950s and 60s. In 2011, he finally did the obvious thing and released an album consisting entirely of cover versions of 1950s and 60s songs, called "Beyond the Sun." But while this album is pretty good, I'd like to think that I made it even better simply by making it shorter.

Let me explain a bit more. "Beyond the Sun" was first released as a relatively short album, just 35 minutes long. But later, a deluxe edition was released that more than doubled the album length. If you consider all the songs from this version, about half are covers of classic hits and the others are covers of lesser known songs. (There's even one original on the deluxe edition only, "My Baby Don't Love Me No More," that fits the style of the others.) In my opinion, most of those classic hits have been overplayed already. The world doesn't really need more versions of "Can't Help Falling in Love," "It's Now or Never," "I Walk the Line," "Ring of Fire," and the like. So I removed all the really well known songs, and it left me with an album's worth of songs. I think this is a more interesting listen for people like me who know those other songs backwards and forwards.

This album is 37 minutes long.

01 Dixie Fried (Chris Isaak)
02 How's the World Treating You (Chris Isaak)
03 Miss Pearl (Chris Isaak)
04 Live It Up (Chris Isaak)
05 So Long I'm Gone (Chris Isaak)
06 My Happiness (Chris Isaak)
07 Doin' the Best I Can (Chris Isaak)
08 Your True Love (Chris Isaak)
09 Lovely Loretta (Chris Isaak)
10 Everybody's in the Mood (Chris Isaak)
11 I'm Gonna Sit Right Down and Cry [Over You] (Chris Isaak)
12 Doncha' Think It's Time (Chris Isaak)
13 My Baby Don't Love Me No More (Chris Isaak)
14 Bonnie B (Chris Isaak)

https://www.upload.ee/files/16122617/CHRSISK2011_ByndthSunAltrntVrsin_atse.zip.html

I got lucky with the cover art. Searching the Internet for the artist name and album name, I stumbled across this art done as a pretend poster, in the style of many 1950s posters. I had to crop some things to get the rectangular poster to fit into a square space, but every bit of this, including all the text, was in the original. I tried to figure out who did it, to give credit, but the website is originated from appeared to be defunct.

1 comment:

  1. thanks for compressing this down to the good stuff! Can you provide us the list of original artists/composers?

    ReplyDelete