Monday, July 31, 2023

The Clash - Civic Theater, Akron, OH, 8-17-1982

There are tons of Clash live bootlegs out there, but in my opinion there are very few that have worthy sound quality. And the Clash are the kind of band where you need good sound quality to appreciate their music. (One can get away with lower quality with solo acoustic music, but the Clash definitely are not that!) I came across this concert bootleg recently. It definitely has worthy sound quality, coming from a good soundboard recording. It's fairly similar to another concert from them I've shared here (Jamaica, 11/27/1982), but I'm sharing it here to help you separate the wheat from the chaff.

A lot of Clash concerts in 1982 took place in huge stadiums, when they were an opening act for the Who. The sound quality suffers in such venues. So I think this sounds better than their official live album from this time, "Live at Shea Stadium." This has more of an intimate feeling.

I improved the sound quality in a few ways. "Police on My Back" had a problematic section. I was able to patch it by using another chunk from elsewhere in the song. "Garageland" had a more serious issue, as the song got cut off about half way through. I found a different live version from 1982 (I forget which one) and spliced that in to finish the song off. That's why those two have "[Edit]" in their names.

One problem common with excellent bootlegs is that they're so good with recording the music on stage that they get very little crowd noise, making it sound like the crowd was unenthusiastic. That was the case here. So I boosted the cheering after every song. I also noticed small gaps at the starts and ends of the songs, and got rid of those. 

This album is an hour and 34 minutes long.

01 talk (Clash)
02 London Calling (Clash)
03 The Leader (Clash)
04 Radio Clash (Clash)
05 talk (Clash)
06 Clash City Rockers (Clash)
07 Know Your Rights (Clash)
08 The Guns of Brixton (Clash)
09 talk (Clash)
10 Train in Vain [Stand by Me] (Clash)
11 The Call Up (Clash)
12 Rock the Casbah (Clash)
13 Police and Thieves (Clash)
14 Police on My Back [Edit] (Clash)
15 The Magnificent Seven (Clash)
16 talk (Clash)
17 Wrong 'Em Boyo (Clash)
18 Career Opportunities (Clash)
19 Somebody Got Murdered (Clash)
20 Brand New Cadillac (Clash)
21 I Fought the Law (Clash)
22 Armagideon Time (Clash)
23 Should I Stay or Should I Go (Clash)
24 Clampdown (Clash)
25 Straight to Hell (Clash)
26 Janie Jones - Garageland [Edit] (Clash)

https://www.imagenetz.de/i63pj

I'm happy to say the cover photo comes from this exact concert, twice over. The top section is taken from a photo out in front of the venue. I adjusted the size and added the small text. The bottom section is from a black and white photo taken at this concert. I used the Palette program to colorize it, then made some more adjustments in Photoshop to help with the coloring.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks, Paul! The Clash was one of the 2 loudest bands I ever saw, the other being the Rolling Stones in the 1970s!

    ReplyDelete