Wednesday, July 19, 2023

The Doobie Brothers - BBC In Concert, Wembley Arena, London, Britain, 3-16-1995

As I mentioned in a recent announcement, I had a Doobie Brothers concert I posted last month get hidden yesterday due to a copyright issue. I find this puzzling, because it's an unreleased performance, as far as I know. I'm still trying to figure out the logic or pattern to such take-downs (if any), so I'm posting a different unreleased Doobie Brothers concert to see if it gets flagged too. You might want to grab this one quickly.

I had been planning on posting this one soon anyway because I have a special focus on posting BBC material, and this seems to be the one and only thing the Doobie Brothers did for the BBC. 

Also, this is the kind of Doobie Brothers concert I had been looking for. To clarify, I'm not a big fan of the singer Michael McDonald. It's not that I don't think he's talented - he clearly is - but for whatever reason I don't jibe with his style. He's basically dominated the singing in the band in the late 1970s and early 1980s. When the band reunited in the late 1980s, they put out two albums without him. He still wasn't part of the band when this concert took place. Later in 1995, he would rejoin the band for a big tour. Since then, he's come and gone as a special guest. 

So I like this has an emphasis on the band's early 1970s stuff before the late 1970s McDonald-dominated era. They did do one big hit originally sung by McDonald, "Takin' It to the Streets." I'm surprised though that they didn't play "The Doctor," their big comeback hit from 1989.

The sound quality is excellent. It's been a while since I added this to my music collection, but I'm pretty sure I used an audio editing program to boost the low lead vocals relative to the instruments for all the songs. I think the first song, "Dangerous" has "'[Edit]" in the title because the vocals were especially low and I had to take extra steps to make that one sound good.

This concert is 55 minutes long.

01 Dangerous [Edit] (Doobie Brothers)
02 Jesus Is Just Alright (Doobie Brothers)
03 Dependin' on You (Doobie Brothers)
04 talk (Doobie Brothers)
05 South City [Instrumental] (Doobie Brothers)
06 South City Midnight Lady (Doobie Brothers)
07 talk (Doobie Brothers)
08 One Step Closer (Doobie Brothers)
09 talk (Doobie Brothers)
10 Takin' It to the Streets (Doobie Brothers)
11 Black Water (Doobie Brothers)
12 Take Me in Your Arms [Rock Me] (Doobie Brothers)
13 Long Train Runnin' (Doobie Brothers)
14 China Grove (Doobie Brothers)
15 talk (Doobie Brothers)
16 Listen to the Music (Doobie Brothers)

https://www.upload.ee/files/15473537/TDoobieBrs_1995_BBInConcrtWemblyArnaLondnBrtain__3-16-1995_atse.zip.html

The cover photo features most of the band members in concert in Paris, France on March 18, 1995, just two days after the concert featured here.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the reunited Doobies doing the classic material!

    ReplyDelete