Saturday, June 22, 2019

Robyn Hitchcock - Acoustic Covers, Volume 5: 2000-2004

Here's the fifth of my album collections of acoustic covers done by Robyn Hitchcock, the vast majority played live. He's played a million covers, so there are a lot more albums like this one on the way.

It's not too hard to guess that the three biggest musical influences on Hitchcock have been the Beatles, Bob Dylan, and Syd Barrett of Pink Floyd. So it's fitting that he does four songs by the Beatles, three by Barrett, and two by Dylan.

None of the performances on this album have been officially released, though two of them come from a DVD about Syd Barrett. Yet the sound quality is generally quite good.

For the first song, a version of "I Am the Walrus" by Hitchcock and Grant Lee Phillips, there's some crowd noise because the two of them are having a fun lark with the song, which gets a lot of audience response. It's similar with "Stayin' Alive," which is another jokey lark (including some improvised lyrics).

Here's a list of the original artists for each song:

01 I Am the Walrus - Beatles
02 Across the Universe - Beatles
03 Think for Yourself - Beatles
04 All that Money Wants - Psychedelic Furs
05 Born in Time - Bob Dylan
06 Pledging My Time - Bob Dylan
07 Honky Tonkin' - Hank Williams
08 Dominoes - Syd Barrett
09 It Is Obvious - Syd Barrett
10 Neon Meate Dream of an Octafish [Recitation Version] - Captain Beefheart
11 The Main Thing - Roxy Music
12 She Said, She Said - Beatles
13 Tarotplane - Captain Beefheart
14 Stayin' Alive - Bee Gees
15 Some Kinda Love - Velvet Underground
16 The Ocean - Velvet Underground / Lou Reed
17 Baby Lemonade - Syd Barrett

Here's the song list:

01 I Am the Walrus (Robyn Hitchcock & Grant Lee Phillips)
02 Across the Universe (Robyn Hitchcock & Grant Lee Phillips)
03 Think for Yourself (Robyn Hitchcock)
04 All that Money Wants (Robyn Hitchcock)
05 Born in Time (Robyn Hitchcock)
06 Pledging My Time (Robyn Hitchcock)
07 Honky Tonkin' (Robyn Hitchcock with Jon Brion, Grant Lee Phillips)
08 Dominoes (Robyn Hitchcock)
09 It Is Obvious (Robyn Hitchcock)
10 Neon Meate Dream of an Octafish [Recitation Version] (Robyn Hitchcock)
11 The Main Thing (Robyn Hitchcock)
12 She Said, She Said (Robyn Hitchcock)
13 Tarotplane (Robyn Hitchcock)
14 Stayin' Alive (Robyn Hitchcock)
15 Some Kinda Love (Robyn Hitchcock)
16 The Ocean (Robyn Hitchcock)
17 Baby Lemonade (Robyn Hitchcock)

https://www.upload.ee/files/15272825/RobynH_2000-2004_AcousticCoversVolume5_atse.zip.html

For the album cover, I wanted to use a photo of Hitchcock with an acoustic guitar at some point in the years 2000 to 2004. But I couldn't find any good ones that were definitely from that time. I found one from 2006. I guess that's close enough for horseshoes.

9 comments:

  1. Are there enough Syd Barrett covers to make an album?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's funny you mention that, because there are. I count 15 done acoustically by him. I've actually made an album of them all, even though that duplicates what I have on other albums. I can post it here if you're interested.

      Delete
  2. You may already be aware that Robyn actually covered the entire White Album live with a troupe he labeled "Heavy Friends"

    Robyn Hitchcock and Heavy Friends
    The White Album Against the War Benefit
    3 Kings, Clerkenwell
    London
    August 7, 2004

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have a copy in flac if you happen to need it as well ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't worry, I've got that. Not only that, but he does a bunch of other albums in their entirety, including several other Beatles ones. but I plan on posting all my stray tracks album collections from him before getting to those.

      In my various stray track collections, acoustic or otherwise, I'm not using any songs from those special shows, since I plan on posting them separately eventually.

      Delete
    2. Great, I just figured I'd offer especially in light of all the work you put in

      Delete
  4. The link is bringing up the wrong file (its linking to Eerie Green Storm Lantern)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for pointing that out! Nothing worse than having the wrong link. It should be fixed now.

      Delete