Thursday, November 3, 2022

Robyn Hitchcock - Robyn Hitchcock - Acoustic Versions (2017)

Robyn Hitchcock released a new album last week, called "Shufflemania." I just heard it and it's very good, with an upbeat sound. I strongly recommend it, if you're a fan. It's been a surprisingly long time since his last studio album by his prolific standards. The album "Robyn Hitchcock" was released in 2017. As it so happens, I've been slowly working my way through his career chronologically, and an acoustic version of all the songs from that album is next up. So here it is.

When it comes to making these acoustic versions of albums, I usually find acoustic versions for most of the songs, but not all of them. Maybe there's a few songs he never plays in concert, especially if they don't work well in the acoustic format. But this time I got lucky and found acoustic versions for all ten songs on the album. On top of that, I've included acoustic versions for two songs, "Love Is a Drug" and "Life Is Change," that were released on an obscure single a year earlier, in 2016.

All of the performances here are officially unreleased. Pretty much all of them were done in a studio setting though, such as live in person radio station performances. I think only "Sayonara Judge" is the only one that comes from a typical concert bootleg. As a result, the sound quality is generally excellent.

This album is 44 minutes long.

01 I Want to Tell You about What I Want (Robyn Hitchcock)
02 Virginia Woolf (Robyn Hitchcock)
03 I Pray When I'm Drunk (Robyn Hitchcock)
04 Mad Shelley's Letterbox (Robyn Hitchcock)
05 Sayonara Judge (Robyn Hitchcock)
06 Detective Mindhorn (Robyn Hitchcock & Emma Swift)
07 1970 in Aspic (Robyn Hitchcock & Emma Swift)
08 Autumn Sunglasses (Robyn Hitchcock)
09 Raymond and the Wires (Robyn Hitchcock)
10 Time Coast (Robyn Hitchcock & Emma Swift)
11 Love Is a Drag (Robyn Hitchcock & Emma Swift)
12 Life Is Change (Robyn Hitchcock & Emma Swift)

https://www.upload.ee/files/15274653/RobynH_2017_RobynHitchAcousticVersions_atse.zip.html

I'm very happy with what I did with the cover for this album. I wanted something similar to the official album cover, but different. It turns out the centerpiece of the original cover is a photo of Hitchcock holding his cat, which then was converted and abstracted into an artistic version. I found the original photo, and replaced the art version with that photo. So while the cover might look the same at first glance, it actually has that important difference. I also added some text at the bottom.

1 comment: