Wednesday, November 16, 2022

Bobbie Gentry - Acoustic Demos (1967-1971)

Bobbie Gentry has a fairly small recorded legacy, consisting mainly of seven studio albums from 1967 to 1971. That was expanded significantly in 2018 with the release of "The Girl from Chickasaw County," a box set with lots of previously unreleased material. Scattered across the many discs of the box set are some acoustic demos. I prefer having them all together, since they fit well musically. So here it is. One can think of it as her "unplugged" album, since most of the songs are usually just Gentry's voice and her acoustic guitar.

All but one of the songs comes from that box set. The sole exception is the song "The Way I Do." That comes from the deluxe edition of the album "The Delta Sweete."

This album is 56 minutes long.

By the way, at the same time I posted this, I updated her other albums I've posted here. I improved the volume balance between songs and fixed the mp3 tags.

01 The Seventh Son [Demo] (Bobbie Gentry)
02 I Saw an Angel Die [Demo] (Bobbie Gentry)
03 Papa, Won't You Let Me Go to Town with You [Demo] (Bobbie Gentry)
04 Hurry, Tuesday Child [Demo] (Bobbie Gentry)
05 Niki Hoeky [Demo] (Bobbie Gentry)
06 The Way I Do [Demo] (Bobbie Gentry)
07 Morning to Midnight [Demo] (Bobbie Gentry)
08 Feelin' Good [Demo] (Bobbie Gentry)
09 I Didn't Know [Demo] (Bobbie Gentry)
10 Refractions [Demo] (Bobbie Gentry)
11 Louisiana Man [Demo] (Bobbie Gentry)
12 Sermon [Demo] (Bobbie Gentry)
13 Mornin' Glory [Demo] (Bobbie Gentry)
14 Jessye 'Lisabeth [Demo] (Bobbie Gentry)
15 Courtyard [Demo] (Bobbie Gentry)
16 Cotton Candy Sandman [Demo] (Bobbie Gentry)
17 Hushabye Mountain [Demo] (Bobbie Gentry)
18 Seasons Come, Seasons Go [Demo] (Bobbie Gentry)
19 Smoke [Demo] (Bobbie Gentry)

https://www.upload.ee/files/15117223/BobbieGen_1967-1971_AcoustcDemos_atse.zip.html

The album cover photo comes from a TV special in April 1969 called "Spring Thing."

4 comments:

  1. Do you have the songs from Spring Thing? It also starred Noel Harrison and Shirley Bassey. There is a promo album of the show that was sent to DJs but never released to the public. I've seen images of that, but it seems hard to find the actual music online. If you have it, please post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, I don't, sorry. If you do, please let me know!

      Delete
    2. https://www.thewindmillsofyourmind.com/springthing has some pictures from the show and the sleeve design. There are 2 downloadable songs, but only one of them features Bobbie. That's the same song that's on Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gc0W8Y1-I-I

      Delete
    3. Thanks. Bummer there isn't more. If the whole thing does emerge, I could post an album of that here.

      Delete