Saturday, November 19, 2022

Belle & Sebastian - BBC Sessions, Volume 1: 1996

Good grief, Belle and Sebastian has a lot of BBC material! As part of my larger BBC project, I decided to turn my attention to them. I've made nearly 20 albums so far, and I could end up with even more. Admittedly, that includes some non-BBC radio shows, but the vast majority is from the BBC. Here's Volume 1, from the year the band put out their first two studio albums, "Tigermilk" and "If You're Feeling Sinister."

Belle and Sebastian has released an official BBC album called "The BBC Sessions." But it only consists of two albums, so it's woefully incomplete. It includes all of their first BBC session, the first four songs here. But of their second session, tracks six through nine, it only includes track 6. Between those two sessions, I've included an acoustic "Fox in the Snow" done for a different London radio station.

This album is 39 minutes long.

01 The State I Am In (Belle & Sebastian)
02 Like Dylan in the Movies (Belle & Sebastian)
03 Judy and the Dream of Horses (Belle & Sebastian)
04 The Stars of Track and Field (Belle & Sebastian)
05 Fox in the Snow (Belle & Sebastian)
06 I Could Be Dreaming (Belle & Sebastian)
07 Seeing Other People [Slow Version] (Belle & Sebastian)
08 This Is Just a Modern Rock Song (Belle & Sebastian)
09 We Rule the School (Belle & Sebastian)

https://www.upload.ee/files/15602022/BellenS_1996_BBSessionsVolume1_atse.zip.html

I couldn't find a good photo of the band from 1996. So instead here's the band's main singer and songwriter Stuart Murdoch in concert in 1997.

4 comments:

  1. That photo is probably from 2003, as it features the Dear Catastrophe Waitress cover star (Shanta Roberts) front and center. I believe the idea was that she was such a bad waitress that she spilled spaghetti on the guy in stripes. Kind of a silly cover art concept.

    The woman at the back right is Sarah Martin.

    (Thanks for all these albums that should exist. I've enjoyed quite a few of them.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for pointing that out. I just replaced the photo. I'm not that happy with it, so if you have a better one from their early years, please let me know.

      Delete
  2. This is great! Thanks. Please post more sessions from their early days.

    ReplyDelete