Wednesday, November 30, 2022

Petula Clark - Ed Sullivan Show Performances, 1965-1969

British singer Petula Clark was a big star in Britain in the 1960s. She sang the kind of mainstream pop that the BBC loved. So you'd think she would have done many BBC sessions. But I can't find evidence of even a single BBC appearance until well into the 1970s. However, I noticed that she did make many appearances on "The Ed Sullivan Show" in the US. Promotion like that helped her become a big star in the US as well. She performed so many songs on that show that there's enough for an album. I consider this kind of a substitute for the BBC album that should have been.

As far as I know, all of these Ed Sullivan appearances are unreleased. But a nice thing about that show is that there's YouTube account for it that posts videos in excellent sound quality. Everything here comes from those YouTube videos. It also goes without saying that I wouldn't bother with this if the performances were lip-synced, but all of these were done live. That seems to have been the rule for that TV show in those days. The only snag in terms of sound quality is an enthusiastic audience cheering over the music sometimes, but that can't be helped.

Clark played most of her big songs here, but not all of them. She also did some unusual choices, such as "A Foggy Day in London Town" and a couple of songs in French. Unfortunately, a couple of songs are truncated due to being in medleys. For instance, "Don't Sleep in the Subway" is only about a minute long. (I didn't include the rest of the medley since it was "Who Am I," a song presented earlier.) I tried extending it, but that didn't work because the song had already changed keys.

Clark's music isn't for anyone. It's very mainstream and poppy - there's lots of strings here, and no wailing guitar solos. But if you're into that kind of thing, she had a string of classics, mostly thanks to the songwriting talent of Tony Hatch, who wrote (or co-wrote) and produced most of her hit singles.

The Ed Sullivan Show continued until 1971, but the last performance from her that I could find is from 1969. That's not too surprising, since her hit singles stopped around that time.

This album is 43 minutes long.

01 Downtown (Petula Clark)
02 I Know a Place (Petula Clark)
03 A Foggy Day in London Town (Petula Clark)
04 Round Every Corner (Petula Clark)
05 My Love (Petula Clark)
06 I Want to Hold Your Hand (Petula Clark)
07 Sign of the Times (Petula Clark)
08 Just Say Goodbye (Petula Clark)
09 Come Rain or Come Shine (Petula Clark)
10 Who Am I (Petula Clark)
11 Colour My World (Petula Clark)
12 Elusive Butterfly (Petula Clark)
13 C'est Ma Chanson - This Is My Song (Petula Clark)
14 Je Me Sens Bien [Aupres de Toi] - My Love (Petula Clark)
15 Don't Sleep in the Subway (Petula Clark)
16 The Cat in the Window [The Bird in the Sky] (Petula Clark)
17 Fill the World with Love (Petula Clark)
18 The Fool on the Hill (Petula Clark)

https://www.upload.ee/files/15284969/PetulaC_1965-1969_EdSullivnShowPerfrmances__1965-1969_atse.zip.html

The cover is a promo photo from 1967. I took Clark's name and the Ed Sullivan Show logo from here and there on the Internet.

2 comments:

  1. The Gershwin song "A Foggy Day" was indeed released on an album — her 1965 "I Know Place" LP (it was the first album I ever owned!) Thanks for the great Petula compilation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the info. I just changed the text to reflect that.

      Delete