Wednesday, November 22, 2023

Elton John - Cover Versions, Volume 1 (1970-1975)

Elton John is such a prolific songwriter (along with his co-composer Bernie Taupin) that he's only very rarely included cover songs in his studio albums. However, he has done a fair number over the years that tend to be done only in concert, or as B-sides, or on various artists compilations or the like. So I thought it would be interesting to compile them all together. Looking over his entire career, I found enough for five volumes. I avoided anything from his studio albums (including one I made and posted here, "Hits '70.") But otherwise, I considered pretty much everything else fair game. Here's Volume 1.

Five of the songs here are officially released. "Honey Man," a duet with Cat Stevens, is from a Cat Stevens box set. "Love Song" is a rare case of a cover that made it onto one of John's early studio albums. But this is a live version, taken from the album "Here and There," and done as a duet with the song's composer, Leslie Duncan. "One Day at a Time" and "Sugar on the Floor" are B-sides. The studio version of "Pinball Wizard," originally by the Who, was a big hit for John in 1975. But this is a live version, released as a bonus track. 

The other six songs are all unreleased, and generally taken from concert bootlegs. "Get Down," a duet with Gilbert O'Sullivan, is from a TV special. Generally speaking, these all come from soundboards with excellent sound quality.

I'm not that big of an Elton John fan, so it's possible that I've missed some things. If you think I have, let me know and I'll consider adding them in.

This album is 55 minutes long.

01 Honky Tonk Women (Elton John)
02 My Baby Left Me - Get Back (Elton John with Leon Russell)
03 Honey Man (Cat Stevens & Elton John)
04 Whole Lotta Shakin' Going On (Elton John)
05 Get Down (Gilbert O'Sullivan & Elton John)
06 Love Song (Elton John with Lesley Duncan)
07 I Saw Her Standing Her (Elton John)
08 Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds (Elton John)
09 One Day at a Time (Elton John)
10 Pinball Wizard (Elton John)
11 Sugar on the Floor (Elton John)

https://www.upload.ee/files/16541885/ELTONJHN1970-1975CvrVrsonsVlum1_atse.zip.html

I don't know anything about the cover photo except that it's from early 1973. I picked it because who plays piano like that?

2 comments: