Saturday, May 23, 2020

Richard & Linda Thompson - The Bottom Line, New York City, 5-18-1982, Late Show

A couple of days ago, I posted the early show of Richard and Linda Thompson playing the Bottom Line in New York City on May 18, 1982. This is the late show from the same night. If you liked the early show, you'll like this one too. And you should get both, if only because the song list is fairly different.

Most of what I want to say here has been said in my comments for the early show. But I'll sum up by saying that the concert highlight of Richard and Linda Thompson's career together has to be their final 1982 tour, and the Bottom Line shows have to be the highlight of that tour. If nothing else, the Bottom Line shows stand out due to the sound quality - these are pristine soundboards.

As with the early show, I did some audio tweaking here and there. Mostly, I boosted the volume of the talking between songs, and I also deleted some aimless guitar tuning and the like. Also, like the early show, the audience reaction after each song was abnormally quiet, since the soundboard didn't record much audience noise. So I tried to boost the volume of that for each song.

The song "Sloth" presented a more difficult problem. There was a gap with some missing music in it halfway through the song. I'm not sure how much was missing, but I'm guessing about 10 or 20 seconds. I couldn't patch this with a section from a different part of the song, or even from a different version, because the band was in the middle of an instrumental soloing section that was unique. So I just closed the gap and overlapped the two sections a little bit. Hopefully, you won't notice.

I've added three bonus tracks of sorts to the end of the concert. Between the early and late show, just about every song they played on the 1982 tour is included, but not every one. There are a few that aren't recorded or only recorded in poor to middling quality. I didn't include any of those. But I found three that were recorded with the same sort of high quality as the rest of this concert, so I did include those. I'm especially happy that I was able to include "Wall of Death," both because it's one of Richard Thompson's very best songs, in my opinion, and also because it was the only song from the 1982 album "Shoot Out the Lights" that wasn't already included in the early or late show.

01 Dargai [Instrumental] (Richard & Linda Thompson)
02 Man in Need (Richard & Linda Thompson)
03 talk (Richard & Linda Thompson)
04 I'm a Dreamer (Richard & Linda Thompson)
05 Hard Luck Stories (Richard & Linda Thompson)
06 talk (Richard & Linda Thompson)
07 Pavanne (Richard & Linda Thompson)
08 talk (Richard & Linda Thompson)
09 Lonely Hearts (Richard & Linda Thompson)
10 You're Going to Need Somebody (Richard & Linda Thompson)
11 talk (Richard & Linda Thompson)
12 Genesis Hall (Richard & Linda Thompson)
13 talk (Richard & Linda Thompson)
14 Sloth [Edit] (Richard & Linda Thompson)
15 talk (Richard & Linda Thompson)
16 Don't Renege on Our Love (Richard & Linda Thompson)
17 talk (Richard & Linda Thompson)
18 Just the Motion (Richard & Linda Thompson)
19 talk (Richard & Linda Thompson)
20 Borrowed Time (Richard & Linda Thompson)
21 High School Confidential [Edit] (Richard & Linda Thompson)
22 talk (Richard & Linda Thompson)
23 Night Comes In (Richard & Linda Thompson)
24 I Want to See the Bright Lights Tonight (Richard & Linda Thompson)
25 Wall of Death (Richard & Linda Thompson)

https://www.imagenetz.de/mzMuF

As I mentioned in my comments for the early show, normally I'm loathe to use black and white photos for the cover art, but in this case I found two (and only two) photos actually from the Bottom Line on the correct date, so I couldn't resist using them. I don't know if they're from the early or late shows. Some months after first posting this album, I colorized this one. Also, like the picture for the early show, I moved Linda and Richard closer together.

6 comments:

  1. Thanks for getting this put up so fast. You could make the argument that the color/black & white split is kind of a metaphor for what was going on between them, but whatever the reason, it looks pretty great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. It's fun when things work out nicely, like when I found two photos from the actual Bottom Line shows.

      Delete
  2. I have what may well be an impossible request: I've seen Richard Thompson many times, but in one show he did in Charlotte, NC, on one of the 1,000 years of popular music tours, including a version of the Korgis' song, "Everybody's Got To Learn Sometime," which was flat-out beautiful. Has that song by him ever been recorded anywhere? I don't know that he sang it all that often. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, indeed that has been recorded (on bootleg). I've got it, and I plan on posting it. But I'm moving through his career chronologically, and that's not until 2008. So it may take a while, if you don't mind. I'm going to post more than one version of 1,000 Years of Popular Music, cos he's done lots of different songs within that format.

      Delete
  3. Great, thanks. Maybe the boot was from the show I saw? It was in Charlotte, as I mentioned, around that time. I've seen a couple of the 1,000 years shows and have some recordings, but that was the only time I ever heard him sing it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The version I have was done in Schaumberg, Illinois, 2008.

      Delete