Sunday, May 17, 2020

Oingo Boingo - I Was a Teenage Monster - Non-Album Tracks (1980-1981)

In 1981, Oingo Boingo released their first album, "Only a Lad." But I think they easily could have released a second album around that time. Just consider all the unreleased or obscurely released songs here. Plus, they had even more unreleased songs from their many years before fame, such as the ones on the "Ain't This the Life" compilation. I hope someday many of these will be officially released in pristine sound quality.

Only three of the songs here have been officially released: "Violent Love," "Squeezit the Moocher (Minnie the Moocher)," and "Cruisin'." They're from an EP, a movie soundtrack, and a B-side, respectively. As you can guess from the title, "Squeezit the Moocher" is a cover of the classic 1930s song "Minnie the Moocher" but with some changed lyrics.

Speaking of covers, "Rawhide" and "Violent Love" are also covers. And "Open Eyes" is based on "Auld Lang Syne."

This album is 43 minutes long, not including the bonus tracks.

UPDATE: On January 2, 2022, I updated the mp3 download file. Previously, the song "Gimme a Break" was a bonus track due to poor sound quality. I used the audio editing program X-Minus to boost the lead vocals, which was the main problem. So I deemed it good enough to be included with the regular album. I also used that same X-Minus trick to improve the sound quality of an existing bonus track, "I Always Talk to Pictures," and a new bonus track, "Animals." Although that helped they still sound worse than the rest, thus the bonus track status.

Also, I previously called an instrumental here "Woke Up Clipped" because this was the name on virtually all bootlegs. But it recently emerged from a source close to the band that it was actually called "Nature Zone." So I've renamed it, but I've kept the old name as a subtitle, since it has been referred to by that name so much.

01 Violent Love (Oingo Boingo)
02 Squeezit the Moocher [Minnie the Moocher] (Oingo Boingo)
03 Lap of Luxury (Oingo Boingo)
04 Nature Zone [Woke Up Clipped] [Instrumental] (Oingo Boingo)
05 Rawhide (Oingo Boingo)
06 Gimme a Break [Edit] (Oingo Boingo)
07 Cruisin' (Oingo Boingo)
08 I Was a Teenage Monster (Oingo Boingo)
09 Louise (Oingo Boingo)
10 I've Got to Be Entertained (Oingo Boingo)
11 Two Twisted Trees (Oingo Boingo)
12 Always There (Oingo Boingo)
13 Cinderella Undercover (Oingo Boingo)
14 Open Eyes [Auld Lang Syne] (Oingo Boingo)

Animals [Edit] (Oingo Boingo)
I Always Talk to Pictures [Edit] (Oingo Boingo)

https://www.upload.ee/files/16067755/OingBo_1980-1981_IWsTeenageMnster_atse.zip.html

Given that early Oingo Boingo especially cultivated a sinister image, the song "I Was a Teenage Monster" stuck out to me as an album title. For the cover art, I searched for and found the most sinister photo of lead singer Danny Elfman I could find. I'm not sure where it's from exactly, but it looks to be roughly the right era. I designed the album cover while imagining it as the poster for a 1960s low budget horror film.

2 comments:

  1. I am going to post my thank you for all four discs of the Oingo Boingo rarities here. A vastly underrated band, unique, really. There are still a few tracks that are missing, such as the theme song to the "Fast Times" television series, and "Happy" from the movie Summer School - a soundtrack I have been looking for and there's the song from Midnight Run which I can't remember off the top of my head now. (Very glad to have "Hold Me Back" here) There are a couple of others I think, but still, this is even a lot more than what I was aware of. This is awesome. Thank you very much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcom.e I heard the "Fast Times" song and didn't like it, so I didn't include it. It's only about a minute long anyway. I have "Happy," and I'm putting that on an Oingo Boingo collection that starts from 1986. I'd never heard of the Midnight Run song "Try to Believe." But thanks to you mentioning it, I found it and I'll be adding it to the 1986 and after album.

      Delete