Friday, May 22, 2020

Bonepony - Stomp Revival (1995)

I try hard not to post any officially released album without making significant changes to it, because I don't want to be taking away what little royalties musicians are still getting. But every now and then I make exceptions, and this is one. It's my impression this album is out of print in most formats, so hopefully I'll be doing more good than harm by drawing attention to the band's work.

Chances are, you've never heard of Bonepony. They've never had a hit or much radio airplay. I'm not even sure if they're still in existence, since they haven't put out a new studio album since 2006. I heard about them due to word of mouth from friends who I think have great taste in music. They've put out several albums, but in my opinion, their 1995 debut "Stomp Revival" towers above the others. I consider this a "five-star" album, and I'm very sparing in giving any album that rating.

The band's music is hard to describe, because it doesn't easily find in any musical niche. They're a trio, and they don't even have a drummer. Instead, they've employed a "stomp shoe" - an amplifier built into a shoe - in order to create a stomping beat. Rather than describe them further, I'll quote from the allmusic.com review of this album:

"Scott Johnson, Bryan Ward, and Kenny Mims employ mandolins, fiddles, dobros, and dulcimers on their debut album, which would seem to suggest a traditional country or bluegrass sound. But they wield their instruments as aggressively as if they were electric guitars and howl their lyrics as though they were singing punk rock, so the result is a lively hybrid of old timey and new wave."

I think that describes them well. I like their style, but what really impresses me is the quality of the songwriting and the passion of the performances. In a more just musical world, songs like "Sugar on the Pill" and "Poor Boy Blues" would have been all over classic rock radio.

Anyway, if you generally like the type of music I post on this blog, please give this album a try. It's got the general rootsy, acoustic sound I enjoy and post a lot of, yet it's very lively. If I saw these guys in concert, I'd want to get up and dance. So it's a good album to put you in an upbeat mood. If you like this, hopefully you'll be inspired to check out other albums they've made. They also have a couple of live albums that are particularly good, since the band shines in a live setting.

01 Poor Boy Blues (Bonepony)
02 Where the Water's Deep (Bonepony)
03 Blue Blue Blue (Bonepony)
04 P.S.O.B. (Bonepony)
05 Right Time to Love (Bonepony)
06 Soap (Bonepony)
07 Seeds of Peace (Bonepony)
08 Bleeker Street (Bonepony)
09 Shrouded in Blue (Bonepony)
10 Travelin' Stew (Bonepony)
11 Rebecca (Bonepony)
12 Feast of Life (Bonepony)
13 Sugar on the Pill (Bonepony)

https://www.upload.ee/files/15328109/Bnepny_1995_StmpRevivl_atse.zip.html

The album cover art is the exact officially released cover art, with no changes.

13 comments:

  1. I loved Boneponey. Thanks! I used to have their live cd (long gone now) and discovered them on a Mountain Stage compilation disc in the late 90s. Thanks for the share!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do you remember the exact name of the album you are speaking of? I need to find Where the waters deep on prime music and am having no luck

      Delete
    2. They have two official live albums, "Funhouse" and "Celebration Highway." They also have a live song ("Poor Boy Blues") on "Rock Live from Mountain Stage."

      Delete
    3. For those interested.. Scott and Nick has a new band called “The Cowboy Poets” they released an EP in 2016 or 17.. same style as Bonepony .. some real strong songs. .. but SR was a monster record.. Capitol dropped the balll with them.. should have been a video made to promote the band..

      Delete
    4. For those interested.. Scott and Nick has a new band called “The Cowboy Poets” they released an EP in 2016 or 17.. same style as Bonepony .. some real strong songs. .. but SR was a monster record.. Capitol dropped the balll with them.. should have been a video made to promote the band..

      Delete
    5. For those interested.. Scott and Nick has a new band called “The Cowboy Poets” they released an EP in 2016 or 17.. same style as Bonepony .. some real strong songs. .. but SR was a monster record.. Capitol dropped the balll with them.. should have been a video made to promote the band..

      Delete
  2. I thought I had something by these guys but can't find anything. Great album. They deserved stardom. Thanks for posting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They certainly deserve a lot more attention. But I feel the albums that followed this one didn't live up to their promise.

      Delete
  3. i love bonepony. I saw them a ton in the 1990's in Nashville

    ReplyDelete
  4. The link wasn't working but your write-up and the corresponding comments made me curious and I was able to locate a copy of the officialcopy to buy. Thanks so much for your suggestion.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for trusting my recommendation, and I'm glad it worked out. Since you pointed out the link isn't working, I just fixed it.

      Delete
  5. I've finally got around to really listening to this after random song would pop up om my iPod. Now I have to find more. Thanks so much.

    ReplyDelete