Tuesday, May 19, 2020

Neil Finn - Home Concerts 6, Los Angeles, CA, 4-19-2020 to 4-21-2020

Here's the next in my series of home concert recordings by Neil Finn, formerly of Split Enz and Crowded House, and now a member of Fleetwood Mac. If you haven't given any of these a listen, you should. As I said before, I was only a mild fan of his earlier bands, but I've come to appreciate him as a major artist due to these recordings.

One again, this mostly consists of originals, with some covers added in. The covers are:

This Guy's in Love with You - Burt Bacharach / Herb Alpert
Wild World - Cat Stevens
Norwegian Wood - Beatles
I Can See Clearly Now - Johnny Nash
Irish Heartbeat - Van Morrison
To Love Somebody - Bee Gees

As usual, I'm not including his versions of songs he wrote and sang in his earlier bands as covers. But I suppose one might consider his version of a song like "Six Months in a Leaky Boat" a cover, since that Split Enz hit was actually written by his brother Tim Finn.

I had to make some edits on some songs. As with the rest of his home recordings, he's taking a winging it without a safety net approach, which means he makes mistakes sometimes. For instance, with the song "Edible Flowers," halfway through the song, he got a phone call from his Fleetwood Mac band mate Mick Fleetwood. So he stopped the song, took the call, and talked to him for a while (and kept the recording going). When the call ended, he resumed the song more or less where he'd stopped. I patched it up to make it one whole performance.

Or as another example, there are some tricky guitar riffs in the middle of the song "Nails in My Feet." He messed up the first two, then apologized while he kept playing, and finally got the third one right. I fixed his errors and removed the apology. The way I figure, it might be charming to hear the mistakes once or twice, but if I'm going to listen to this album lots of times, I don't want jarring mistakes.

By the way, I hope you especially appreciate the work I put into making this album, because I had to do it twice! I did it once, and then realize I'd had the wrong setting in my sound editing program, so all the songs had been recorded in mono. I had to download everything and do it all over from scratch to have it in stereo. Ugh!

01 This Guy's in Love with You (Neil Finn)
02 Lost Island (Neil Finn)
03 Wild World (Neil Finn) (Neil Finn)
04 Back to Life (Neil Finn & Liam Finn)
05 Won't Give In (Neil Finn & Liam Finn)
06 Norwegian Wood (Neil Finn)
07 Paradise [Edit] (Neil Finn)
08 Walking on the Spot (Neil Finn)
09 Poor Boy (Neil Finn)
10 Six Months in a Leaky Boat (Neil Finn)
11 Edible Flowers [Edit] (Neil Finn)
12 In the Lowlands (Neil Finn)
13 Anything Can Happen (Neil Finn)
14 Nails in My Feet (Neil Finn)
15 I Can See Clearly Now (Neil Finn)
16 Irish Heartbeat (Neil Finn)
17 To Love Somebody (Neil Finn)

https://www.upload.ee/files/15939475/NeilF_2020_HomeConcrts06LsAngelesCA__4-19-2020_to_4-21-2020_atse.zip.html

The cover art is another screenshot from one of the few videos he's released on him playing songs during the coronavirus lockdown.

11 comments:

  1. I think 'Irish Heartbeat' is a cover of Van Morrison.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Since you're collecting these quarantine performances, you should check out Flogging Molly and John Fogerty's YouTube pages.

    Dave & Bridget of Flogging Molly have been doing sessions in front of their fireplace called, appropriately "Dave & Bridget's Fireside Sessions," and have done acoustic versions of sixteen of their songs (seventeen if you count the unofficial 'Fireside Session' performance of "Float" they did for St. Patrick's Day. It's the same setting and everything, they just didn't have the name for it yet).

    Similarly, John Fogerty has done about half of the CCR album "Cosmo's Factory" live with members of his family backing him up in a series he's calling "Fogerty's Factory" (he also did "Lookin' Out My Back Door" acoustic solo at home prior to starting this, and "Proud Mary" from "Bayou Country" just after that), and he seems to be going at a rate of one song a week. I don't know if he's going to finish out the album since he's certainly not going in order, but there's at least enough for an EP, with those two bonus tracks if he doesn't.

    I'm already grabbing them for myself, but I just thought I'd let you know in case you were interested in them for this blog!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Correction! It's a random selection of CCR songs Fogerty's been doing, from across their career. I made a mistake.

      Delete
    2. I'm not aware of Flogging Molly - I don't know their music. But I've been keeping an eye on John Fogerty. Once he's done a few more songs (hopefully), I'll be able to put an album together. I know he did like a 40 minute concert with his family recently, but I haven't been able to track it down. I think it was on XM radio or something like that, and it hasn't popped up on YouTube. If you find it, please let me know.

      Delete
  3. Thanks so much. I hold Neil Finn in high esteem, but these shows take things to a new level. And thank you, as always, for all you do for all of us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome. And that's how I feel as well. My appreciation of his music has gone way up.

      Delete
  4. Flogging Molly are Celtic punk, and these sessions are vocal, acoustic guitar and violin. This video has my favorite of their songs, "What's Left of the Flag." Check it out. It's good stuff!

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bayuQVwDTPI

    ...and the original for a taste of their regular sound:

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6angYMPj67Q

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the links. I'll check em out.

      Delete
  5. The work you've put into these is very much appreciated. Thanks so much! As a side note to your earlier post which mentioned Neil's vocal resemblance to Murray from Flight of the Conchords - before the HBO show with which we're all familiar, the Conchords had a radio program which guest-featured ... Neil Finn. Neil was cast in the role of musical idol/mentor whom the Conchords would regularly phone up for career advice. Worth seeking out for fans of either parties!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, that's a great factoid. If you or anyone knows where to find this radio show, please let me know.

      Delete