Sunday, September 16, 2018

Norah Jones - Deceptively Yours - Non-Album Tracks (2001)

Norah Jones is a curious case for me. I don't actually like many of her official studio albums that much. Too often, she sounds like "easy listening" or "adult contemporary," with the songs fading into forgettable background music. That said, she has one of those special, distinctive voices. I don't know what it is about that voice, but I really enjoy hearing her sing, as long as she sings good songs. Unfortunately, as a songwriter, she's hit or miss, with a lot of misses.

Luckily, it turns out that Jones's career as represented by her studio albums are just one part of her overall career. She seems willing to play and sing with just about anybody. As a result, her stray track album material is MUCH more varied and interesting than what she puts on her albums. She covers songs by everyone from AC/DC to the Kinks to Soundgarden to Nick Drake, in just about every genre. Not content to coast on her huge fame and fortune, she's taken part in all sorts of side projects, from country, folk, jazz, electronica, and even something close to punk rock!

So my point is, don't dismiss Jones based on a surface impression of her big hits. She has a much more interesting career than that.

The first six songs all come from an album she did with the Peter Malick Group. It was recorded in late 2000 and should have been released in 2001, which is why I've included it with other 2001 songs. But it didn't actually get released until 2003, after Norah Jones hit it big, selling over 10 million albums. However, the album didn't have her face or name on it, so it remained fairly obscure.

Most of the rest of the songs are outtakes from her first album, the one that would go on to sell all those millions. Although most of them are unreleased, you'd never know it, since they sound just as good as any other studio tracks. One of them did get released years later, "Picture in a Frame." I'd had that on a much later stray tracks album (and I'd even used the song title for the album title!). But I've moved it here after finding out it was an outtake from the first album. 

This album is 48 minutes long.

01 New York City (Peter Malick Group with Norah Jones)
02 Strange Transmissions (Peter Malick Group with Norah Jones)
03 Deceptively Yours (Peter Malick Group with Norah Jones)
04 All Your Love (Peter Malick Group with Norah Jones)
05 Heart of Mine (Peter Malick Group with Norah Jones)
06 Things You Don't Have to Do (Peter Malick Group with Norah Jones)
07 Picture in a Frame (Norah Jones)
08 When Sunny Gets Blue (Norah Jones)
09 Daydream (Norah Jones)
10 Hallelujah, I Love Him So (Norah Jones)
11 The Only Time (Norah Jones)
12 A Dream Today (Norah Jones)
13 I Didn't Know about You (Norah Jones)

https://www.upload.ee/files/15848378/NorahJ_2001_DeceptivelyYurs_atse.zip.html

I'm not sure when the photo I used for the cover art was taken, but her haircut matches the one she had in these early years of her career.

10 comments:

  1. Hello! Thanks for the Post update
    W. Rizzo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi just recently came across your great site! I've been going through you Norah Jones library. My wife loves her music :)
    So I've been grabbing a bunch of the packs you put together but I think 4 of the links were broke, do you ever put up new links for old broken ones? thanks and great work putting all this together!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Of course I fix the links. Which ones are broken?

      Delete
    2. Awesome thanks! :) I've posted the 4 pages below. Much appreciated!

      https://albumsthatshouldexist.blogspot.com/2018/09/norah-jones-more-than-this-various.html

      https://albumsthatshouldexist.blogspot.com/2019/12/norah-jones-barstool-blues-various.html

      https://albumsthatshouldexist.blogspot.com/2020/06/norah-jones-let-it-ride-various-songs.html

      https://albumsthatshouldexist.blogspot.com/2020/06/norah-jones-hands-on-wheel-various.html

      Delete
    3. I finally got around to this. Not only did I update those links, I updated the links to almost all Norah Jones albums! That's because I fixed the volume balance between songs, and the mp3 tags.

      Delete
    4. Thanks Paul!
      I'm sure that was a lot of work! I'll have to go back and grab them again to get your updates :)
      I did grab the "Let it Ride" & "Hands on the wheel" links

      but noticed that the "More than This" & "Barstool Blues" still have the old links.

      Sorry to be a pain especially since I know all the work you put in just wanted you to know! :)

      Thanks again!

      Delete
    5. Those were a couple of rare albums that needed no changes, so I didn't update the link. But I just fixed them now.

      Delete
    6. Got them! thanks so much again :)

      Delete