Thursday, September 13, 2018

Van Morrison - Manchild - Non-Album Tracks (1974)

I've still got a lot of great Van Morrison 1970s material to release. This album takes us through 1974.

Why did I call this album "Manchild?" Because that was one possible name Morrison mentioned starting around this time for an upcoming album. I have no idea what it means exactly, or how far along such an album might have been, or what the songs on it could have been. I just figure it's better to use an album title he was actually considering than making something up from scratch.

If you've been following my series of Morrison's stray tracks albums, this is more of the same. In my opinion, all of this stuff is excellent and should have been released at the time. I've seen some quote from Morrison that his record company was "minimalist" and only wanted him to release one single album a year. But he was clearly coming up with more than that, and often the songs that didn't get released were as good or better than the ones that did.

A couple of the songs here actually were released at the time. "Caldonia" and "What's Up, Crazy Pup?" were the A- and B-sides to a single that virtually nobody noticed and failed to make the charts. The second and third songs here have been officially released on "The Philospher's Stone" rarities collection. The rest of the songs are all still unreleased.

Note that I've only included the song "Naked in the Jungle" as a bonus track. It's a great song and should have been a hit, but it never even got released at the time. The reason it's only a bonus track is because there are two known and somewhat different versions from the 1970s. I consider this the (slightly) inferior one. The other version will appear on the next Morrison album I'll be posting.

01 Caldonia (Van Morrison)
02 It's Not the Twilight Zone (Van Morrison)
03 Flamingos Fly [First Version] (Van Morrison)
04 Foggy Mountain Top [T for Texas] (Van Morrison)
05 Much Binding in the March [Instrumental] (Van Morrison)
06 What's Up, Crazy Pup (Van Morrison)
07 I Like It like That (Van Morrison)
08 Street Theory [First Version] (Van Morrison)
09 Heathrow Shuffle [Instrumental] (Van Morrison)

Naked in the Jungle [First Version] (Van Morrison)

https://www.upload.ee/files/16067928/VanMrsn_1974_Mnchld_atse.zip.html

Thanks to Mike for the album cover art. He also made a back side for a CD, so I've included that here too.

4 comments:

  1. Van Morrison is a god among men. Keep these coming! I've actually been making a sessionography playlist from what little information I've found regarding recording dates (particularly difficult for his bootlegged material) and am about to purchase Heylin's biography for that reason. If you have any session date information to share and have a spare moment in time please do let me in on where you found the date information, or the information itself!. Email is yonderhillside@gmail.com.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the info. I haven't gone into this nearly as deeply as you have, it seems. If you are able to pin the recording date down really well, please let me know what you come up with. Perhaps I could fine tune my stray tracks albums better. I generally only know what year the song was done.

      By the way, once I finish posting all the good non-album studio stuff from him, there's a lot of his live material from the 1970s I want to post too. I've made some collections of what I thought are the most interesting song performances.

      Delete
  2. thanks using this in my volume 3 on van.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks so much for these. Do you have a lossless copy of "The Philosopher's Alternate Stones" that you can share? That boot is hard to find in FLAC at the moment

    ReplyDelete