Friday, September 7, 2018

Fritz - Fritz (Stevie Nicks & Lindsey Buckingham) (1968-1971)

Here's a very special share, of something so rare that I don't believe it's even ever been bootlegged. It's an album of the best of Fritz, the band Fleetwood Mac stars Stevie Nicks and Lindsey Buckingham were in back in the late 1960s and early 1970s.

I've started posting various stray tracks albums of Fleetwood Mac, moving forward chronologically through the band's long career. I plan to keep doing that. But I also need to begin posting about the early career of Nicks and Buckingham, until they join Fleetwood Mac in 1975. Some people know about the official "Buckingham Nicks" album from 1973, but there's more than that, including this.

I'm not going to go through a long explanation about the story of Fritz. If you're interested in that, Google it. Here's one article that gives a good summary:

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-lists/30-fascinating-early-bands-of-future-music-legends-200891/stevie-nicks-and-lindsey-buckinghams-psychedelic-rock-band-fritz-203670/

The short version is that the band began in the Bay Area of California in 1966. In 1967, Nicks and Buckingham joined. The band got popular enough for them to open for many big name artists, including Jimi Hendrix and Janis Joplin. Nicks and Buckingham stayed in the band until it broke up in 1971, when those two moved to Los Angeles to try to make it big in the music business. But even though Nicks and/or Buckingham were the lead singers on all of Fritz's songs, there were three other band members, including Brian Kane on lead guitar and Bob Aguirre on drums. But the creative heart of the band was keyboardist Javier Pacheco, because he wrote nearly all the songs. (One exception here is the first song, "Where Was I," written by Nicks.)

As far as I can tell, absolutely none of Fritz's music has ever been officially released. And that's not likely to change any time soon, since neither Nicks nor Buckingham seem interested in uncovering the early part of their career. For instance, the 1973 "Buckingham Nicks" album is beloved by many Fleetwood Mac fans, but it has remained out of print ever since its first release. Only a couple of songs from it have come out on career spanning box sets, and nothing from any time before it.

Luckily, Pacheco has kept many recordings of Fritz, and in recent years he's released a lot of them through YouTube videos. I went through all the videos I could find and put together the best ones for this album. Unfortunately, that didn't mean including all the best songs, because I had to take into account two factors: song quality and recording quality. There were many more songs I didn't include, some of them quite good, because I deemed the recording quality too poor. For instance, there was at least an album's worth of songs performed live, but all of those recordings just weren't good enough for repeat listenings. (If you're interested though, just search for "Fritz" and "Pacheco" on YouTube.)

Thankfully, Fritz did go into professional recording studios several times to record some of their songs, even though they never got a record company to sign them. So pretty much all the songs here are good songs that are well recorded. If you like the "Buckingham Nicks" album, this is much like discovering a very similar album, of comparable musical talent. Despite the fact that nearly all the songs are written by Pacheco, they're probably as good as if they'd been written by Nicks or Buckingham in their pre-Fleetwood Mac days. (Pacheco has gone on to have a long musical career, but in other musical areas, mostly in the Spanish language.)

The last three songs on this album aren't quite Fritz recordings, but I figure they belong here because they fit in the general Fritz time frame. "Anybody Out There" is a demo by Nicks, apparently of a song she wrote. The last two songs, "Next Time Around" and "Time Ago" are more Pacheco songs. Fritz had broken up by then, but he still was able to get Nicks to sing one of them and Buckingham to sing the other.

By the way, I did make a significant edit for one song, "Reconsider." I don't know why, but for that song Pacheco has only made available a snippet of the song that's about a minute and twenty seconds long. That snippet ends with the exact same riff that starts it. So I repeated the entire song, and then added another copy of the intro riff at the end to allow a good fade out. Hopefully, the rest of the original recording will be made public one day. But until then, this can give you some idea of how the song goes.

This makes up a nice 44 minute album that I think any big fan of the "Rumours" era Fleetwood Mac would be interested in. Basically, if you hear a female voice on any of these songs, assume it belongs to Nicks, and if you hear a lead male voice, assume it's Buckingham.

01 Where Was I (Fritz)
02 Up to Fate (Fritz)
03 You Don't Get Young Anymore (Fritz)
04 Reconsider (Fritz)
05 Take Advantage of Me (Fritz)
06 Whirlpool (Fritz)
07 A Million Ways (Fritz)
08 Wondering Why (Fritz)
09 Good Old Fritz (Fritz)
10 In the Dawn (Fritz)
11 Pollyanna Louise (Fritz)
12 Anybody Out There [Demo] (Stevie Nicks)
13 Next Time Around (Lindsey Buckingham & Stevie Nicks)
14 Time Ago (Lindsey Buckingham & Stevie Nicks)

UPDATE: After a request from Pacheco to stop sharing this music, I've taken down the link. Some of this has now been officially released, with more coming soon. Here's a link if you want to buy the official album:

https://fritzrmb.com/music/

I'm still unable to do much photo editing, but I figured it was important to show a picture of Fritz, since so few people are familiar with anything about the early careers of Nicks and Buckingham, including how they look. In this photo used for the cover, taken around 1968, the sole female is Nicks. The male in the middle is Buckingham, and the male on the right is Pacheco. Unfortunately, I couldn't find a good color photo of all five band members, so I cropped this one to highlight the three key people.

28 comments:

  1. You've been busy. Really looking forward to this one. great job, and it kind of fits into my YouTube month theme. also the Under The Covers 2.5 looks fun. I love that series.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, I've been busy. There's just too much great music to post! ;)

      Delete
  2. Why the name Fritz, worked at a San Francisco company on Jackson street .
    Same name.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can't wait to download this album. Javier Pacheco is a great songwriter, "next time around" is a great piece for example, reminds the Fleetwood Mac of "Future Games", songs mostly written by the late John Kirwan. Only one remark, "A Dream Away" is probably their most beautiful song, and even if it's only recorded live, the quality is good enough (and the song is so beautiful) that should have made it in your list. Great stuff anyway.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. After you said that, I went back and listened to "A Dream Away." I'm sorry, the sound quality still isn't that great. Maybe another version will emerge eventually.

      Delete
    2. Both songs that you mentioned are featured on the "Fritz Tribute, Vol 1" album that is about to be released. One will be the original, and the latter title will be a recent remake. Please see, www.fritzrmb.com for more details.

      Delete
  4. and of course I love the Buckingham Nicks album, I have both the real album and the Alabama concert version with all the variations plus Rhiannon, and Lola that starts with the intro of "The Chain". Also the Coffee Plant demo album is another masterpiece. The "pre-FM" trilogy, I would call it (Fritz - Coffee - BN). The voice of Stevie is still on par with these early albums until 1975-77, then is not the same anymore.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One thing I could use help with is Stevie Nicks acoustic demos. There are lots of them, but they're a disorganized mess. If you have them and could help sort through them, that would be great.

      Delete
  5. I was looking at some of these videos today on YouTube and I noticed that the song Reconsider has now been posted in a longer version (3:13) a year ago by Pacheco.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for catching that. I'm sure I wouldn't have noticed. I just updated the zip file with the better version. :)

      Delete
    2. I would enjoin you from proceeding much further until you talk to me or my attorney about unauthorized use. There are still copyright laws in effect in this country.

      Delete
    3. It's not a "longer version," it's the very same recording that I had originally put up, but in this case, it was remastered, and thanks to today's technological advances, made to sound as though we had recorded it yesterday.

      Delete
  6. No problem. I really appreciate all you do on this site. I would never have known about these otherwise.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The link ssays the file no loonger exists. Would you please re-up? Thank you in advance.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The link ssays the file no loonger exists. Would you please re-up? Thank you in advance.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Paul. The link worked. Now, the only problem I am left with is it would not allow me to extract Tracks 1-5. Any advice?

      Delete
    2. I never heard of that before. Weird. I have no idea. If all else fails, grab the songs from SoulseekQT. I share everything there too.

      Delete
  9. Hello, this Javier B. Pacheco. I appreciate your interest in Fritz Rabyne Memorial Band's early music. Are you actually compiling a recording from YouTube downloads? That wouldn't be a good idea, since the quality of the MP3's is not the best, there are glitches and scratches, and even gaps in some places. That's precisely why I shared them, because I didn't think anyone would be foolish enough to use them to make an album. I had planned to clean up that music and offer it in a new recording, including recent recordings with guest artists. That record was recorded last year and is about to be released in vinyl form and for streaming. But we ran up against some pressing problems. If you want more information, please see our website, www.fritzrmb.com.

    ReplyDelete
  10. One other thing. Lindsey was part of the original group that played at the Menlo-Atherton High School in December 1966. He and Stevie were still about ten months from actually meeting and two years from becoming a couple.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am (Javier B. Pacheco) the sole legal composer and owner (not "Fritz") of the unauthorized recordings you have listed and made public. You already knew that when you engaged in stealing this material. I suggest you quit this futile exercise now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Javier, sorry for the slow reply, but if you see from my latest post, I'm in the middle of a long vacation. Since you want me to take down the Fritz music, I will do so. Sorry if having that there offended you. I'm happy to hear these songs will be released in an official way soon, and that obviously is a good reason to stop sharing these versions.

      Delete
    2. Hi Paul,
      Thank you for being a person of integrity. I wasn't offended, however, you didn't credit me at all for these songs--"(Fritz)" collaborated in some parts, but I was the main composer in our existence (Dec 1966 - August 1970--"Time Ago" was recorded at my house in 1971, after the band had broken up), and I want the fans to have access to good recordings, via vinyl albums or streaming (TuneCore). As I said before, the MP3s on YT are of poor quality. I invested in getting that archival material re-mastered, and when you hear the finished product, you will think those old tracks were recorded just yesterday. Your little survey here has helped me to gauge popular interest and decide what I will feature on the Vol 2 recording. I thank you for that. I'd like to include Stevie's songs, but her lawyer made it clear that I'd have to deal with Stevie's legal team. That was too much hassle for me, and I went ahead without including "Where Was I" or "Funny Kind of Love." Maybe, she'll "come on board" or we can work out an agreement after she hears how well Vol 1 does. I hope so. Thanks again, for your interest in my songs.

      Delete
    3. Hey Paul!
      How are you! Have you had a chance to listen to FRMB Vol 1?Just an update, we are about half-way through the production of Vol II. The good news is that Brian Kane, the original lead guitar, and Bob Aguirre, original drummer are on board and this is going to be another great production, with remastered archival recordings as well as new versions and some new compositions too.

      Delete
    4. I wasn't aware of the release. But if you point to a link where people can buy it, I can add that to the post up above.

      Delete
    5. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    6. Thanks Paul,
      Fritz RMB Volume I is available now on vinyl 33 1/3 rpm long playing record!
      You can order it at www.FritzRMB.com/music
      C.D. Baby is also streaming the album (w/ more music) on Spotify, Apple Music, and YouTube
      Volume II might be released in December.
      Will feature Brian Kane and Bob Aguirre.

      Delete
    7. Thanks. I just added the link up above. Good luck with your albums. :)

      Delete
  12. What are the other songs of good sound quality, even if they aren't that interesting?

    ReplyDelete