Tuesday, October 29, 2019

Robyn Hitchcock - Spooked - Acoustic Versions (2004)

If you've been following my postings about Robyn Hitchcock, you've probably noticed that I like to post an all-acoustic version of each of his studio albums whenever that's possible (and it usually is). This album is another one of those. And this time, I'm happy to say, it's a fairly complete version. I was able to find acoustic versions of 10 of the 12 songs on "Spooked," his album from 2004.

Happily, the sound quality of these performances range from very good to excellent, even though every single song is officially unreleased. It seems that Hitchcock did a lot of in-person radio appearances to promote his album, and five of the ten songs here come from such appearances. Those recordings basically sound as good as professional studio recordings. The other five were done live in concert. But most or all of those are soundboards, and at least two of them were played live over the radio.

So, all in all, the sound quality is good, and "Spooked" happens to be a particularly strong Hitchcock album.

This album is 42 minutes long.

01 Television (Robyn Hitchcock)
02 If You Know Time (Robyn Hitchcock)
03 English Girl (Robyn Hitchcock)
04 Demons and Fiends (Robyn Hitchcock)
05 Creeped Out (Robyn Hitchcock)
06 Sometimes a Blonde (Robyn Hitchcock)
07 We're Gonna Live in the Trees (Robyn Hitchcock)
08 Tryin' to Get to Heaven (Robyn Hitchcock)
09 Full Moon in My Soul (Robyn Hitchcock)
10 Flanagan's Song (Robyn Hitchcock)

https://www.upload.ee/files/15272873/RobynH_2004_SpookdAcousticVersions_atse.zip.html

I think I got lucky with the cover art. The official "Spooked" cover used a portion of a Hitchcock painting. I was able to find a photo of the whole painting. So I've included most of it. (I wish I could have included all of it, but it was a little wider than tall, so I had to crop some of the sides.) The "Spooked" cover just focuses on the cat-like creature with two pointy ears and a half-black face.

1 comment:

  1. Excellent! Thank you. One of my most amazing concert experiences was seeing Robyn with Gillian Welch and David Rawlings perform the album live, weeks (?) before it's release at a special low-key showcase show at the Bluebird in Nashville. I've searched forever for a recording of the show, to no such luck...

    ReplyDelete