Wednesday, October 30, 2019

Derek & the Dominos - Electric Factory Theatre, Philadelphia, PA, 10-16-1970

Here's another concert from Derek and the Dominos, Eric Clapton's stellar band in 1970.

Note that only two nights at the Fillmore East were the only concerts by this band that were recorded at soundboard quality. After those shows, which I've posted here already, the sound quality of all other shows by the band drops dramatically. But there are still two other shows that I consider worthy of owning and frequently listening to. I've posted one of those (played at the Cincinnati Music Hall) and this is the other one.

Yes, the sound quality is merely good, not excellent. But this is Derek and the Dominos, which in my opinion and the opinion of many others were the pinnacle of Clapton's long career. The sound is definitely listenable, with no major flaws. It's an audience recording, but you never hear any annoying aspects of that, such as people talking over the music. The problem is just that the sound is a bit distant and muffled.

But I took care to use the bootleg with the best sound, based on what die-hard Clapton fans claim. And the performance more than makes up for the minor sound issue, in my opinion. As usual when he played with the Dominos, Clapton was on fire. For instance, many think that this (sixteen-minute long) version of "Why Does Love Got to Be So Sad" was one of the best soloing of his career. Also, there are some interesting rarities played, despite there being only seven songs played in this seventy-minute long show: "Ramblin' On My Mind," "Mean Old World" and "Motherless Children." In particular, this may have been the only time "Motherless Children" was played by the band, yet the arrangement closely matches the version that would appear on Clapton's 1974 album "461 Ocean Boulevard."

Note that I previously posted a "Live and Rare" album of Derek and the Dominos live rarities. But I didn't include any songs from this show in that one, knowing that I'd post it here later.

So basically, if you like this band as much as I do and you want to hear their live recordings, you should have all three albums I've made of the Fillmore East shows first and foremost, plus the Cincinnati concert I've posted, plus this one, plus the "Live and Rare" compilation. The rest has sound quality that's too poor for my tastes, sadly including the Tampa concert with Duane Allman, which is only listenable in parts.

01 Ramblin' On My Mind (Derek & the Dominos)
02 Why Does Love Got to Be So Sad (Derek & the Dominos)
03 Blues Power (Derek & the Dominos)
04 Have You Ever Loved a Woman (Derek & the Dominos)
05 Mean Old World (Derek & the Dominos)
06 Motherless Child (Derek & the Dominos)
07 Let It Rain (Derek & the Dominos)\

https://www.upload.ee/files/15288302/DereknDom_1970b_ElctricFactryTheatrePhiladelphiaPA__10-16-1970_atse.zip.html

For the album cover, I used a publicity photo of the band (plus someone's dog) as the main photo. But I also found a logo of the concert venue, the Electric Factory Theatre, and I added that in as well. Good color photos of the band are few and far between. All I could find was a black and white one. But over a year after first posting this album, I colorized the cover.

No comments:

Post a Comment