Saturday, October 19, 2019

Dusty Springfield - Alternate TV and Radio Appearances, Volume 1: 1963-1966

I previously posted a bunch of Dusty Springfield albums, all of which I called "On TV and Radio." Basically, she has an entire second discography in the 1960s and early 1970s composed on songs she performed on TV or radio but never put on any of her records. I've posted eight of those albums.

This is the start of a related but different series. It contains the songs she played on TV and radio that WERE also released on her records. There's no such thing as a live album from her peak years, not even a bootleg. Although these all are songs she'd released on singles and/or albums, they're different performances, and generally in front of a live audience, so this is as close to a live album of her famous songs as we're likely to get.

I had enough material for four such albums.

 It's surprising to me that she played songs she didn't record (eight albums' worth) on TV and radio more than the ones she did record (four albums' worth). But the ratio actually would be different if you consider that she tended to play some of her hit songs over and over again, such as "Son of a Preacher Man." I've only included one version of each. I tried to pick the ones that had the best sound quality and performance.

Five of the songs have "[Edit]" in their titles. That's because those are cases where BBC DJs spoke over some of the music. But I used the audio editing program X-Minus to remove their voices while keeping the underlying music.

This album is 40 minutes long.

01 Standing in the Need of Love (Dusty Springfield)
02 Stay Awhile - I Only Want to Be with You (Dusty Springfield)
03 I Just Don't Know What to Do with Myself (Dusty Springfield)
04 La Bamba [Edit] (Dusty Springfield)
05 I Can't Hear You [No More] (Dusty Springfield)
06 Losing You [Edit] (Dusty Springfield)
07 Wishin' and Hopin' (Dusty Springfield)
08 All Cried Out (Dusty Springfield)
09 Mockingbird [Edit] (Dusty Springfield)
10 In the Middle of Nowhere (Dusty Springfield)
11 Who Can I Turn To [When Nobody Needs Me] [Edit] (Dusty Springfield)
12 Chained to a Memory [Edit] (Dusty Springfield)
13 Little by Little (Dusty Springfield)
14 You Don't Have to Say You Love Me (Dusty Springfield)

https://www.upload.ee/files/15328002/DstySpr_1963-1966_AlternteTVRdioPerfrmancesVolum1_atse.zip.html

The cover art photo comes from a TV performance in 1965.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for all the great work, I thought I'd point out that your track listing doesn't match the music files

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for pointing that out. I just fixed it.

      Delete