Friday, October 9, 2026

James Brown with the Brothers Johnson - The Midnight Special, NBC Studios, Burbank, CA, 10-8-1976

It feels like it's been ages since I've last posted any episodes of the "Midnight Special" TV show. But don't worry. Although I'm currently focused more on some other projects, like the Port Chester and Bob Matthews leaks, I still will get around to all the "Midnight Special" stuff eventually. Here's one, featuring soul music legend James Brown, with a couple of songs from the Brothers Johnson included.

From about 1963 to 1976, James Brown had a remarkable and seemingly endless series of dozens of soul music hits. But 1976 would be the end of this successful phase in his career. He had a good hit that year with "Get Up Offa That Thing," which made it to Number 4 in the U.S. soul music chart, and just missed the Top Forty pop chart. But disco was coming on strong, and he didn't do well with disco. He wouldn't have another Top Ten soul hit until 1985, with "Living in America."

Even so, in 1976, he was popular enough to host "The Midnight Special" twice, for episodes that were aired on August 6, 1976, and October 8, 1976. (As usual with this show, I don't know the actual recording dates for those.) To get enough material, I combined his performances from both shows. The first eight tracks come from August 6, 1976, and the rest come from October 8, 1976, including two songs by the Brothers Johnson. Since there's more from the October show, I put that one in the title.

As usual, I cut out many of the other musical acts. In case you're curious, for the August show, the other acts were Alice Cooper, Seals and Crofts, J.D. Souther, Rhythm Heritage, and a prerecorded video by Elton John and Kiki Dee. For the October show, the other acts were Black Oak Arkansas with Ruby Starr, England Dan and John Ford Coley, Walter Murphy, and Alan Meyer.  

I probably don't post these "Midnight Special" shows because they are a hassle to put together. Also as usual, I had to do a lot of work to get the cheering to end naturally at the ends of songs, since in most cases there were quick cuts to the next acts or to commercials. Also, I did some special edits to the first two tracks, which is why both of those have "[Edit]" in their titles. Generally, I got rid of mentions of other musical acts that I cut out, as well as getting rid of the opening theme song music.

The Brothers Johnson didn't do any songs with James Brown, but I included them also since their style of funk music was a good match with his. They released their debut album, "Look Out for No. 1," in 1976, and had two big hits right away, "Get the Funk Out Ma Face" and "I'll Be Good to You." Those were the two songs they performed here.

Here's their Wikipedia entry, if you want to know more: 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Brothers_Johnson

This album is 38 minutes long. 

01 talk [Edit] (Wolfman Jack)
02 talk [Edit] (James Brown & Wolfman Jack)
03 Get Up [I Feel like Being A] Sex Machine (James Brown)
04 Get on the Good Foot (James Brown)
05 Get Up Offa That Thing (James Brown)
06 Try Me (James Brown)
07 It's a Man's Man's Man's World (James Brown)
08 Everybody Wanna Get Funky One More Time (James Brown)
09 The Payback (James Brown)
10 talk (James Brown)
11 Get the Funk Out Ma Face (Brothers Johnson)
12 Cold Sweat (James Brown)
13 Papa's Got a Brand New Bag (James Brown)
14 I'll Be Good to You (Brothers Johnson)
15 Please, Please, Please (James Brown)
16 Doing It to Death (James Brown)
17 talk (James Brown)
18 Doing It to Death [Reprise] (James Brown)

https://pixeldrain.com/u/FUKmytdy

alternate:

https://bestfile.io/en/NuOjGcWZlD5QotZ/file

The cover image is a screenshot I took from the August 6, 1976 broadcast.

No comments:

Post a Comment