Tuesday, July 28, 2026

The Mahavishnu Orchestra - Ebbets Field, Denver, CO, 4-3-1973

If you thought I was done posting concerts sourced from Ebbets Field radio broadcasts, I'm not. I've been distracted this last week working like a demon on the "Maximum Wall" Pink Floyd project, so I haven't been posting much. But I'm glad to say that's nearly finished. Now, I'm just waiting for feedback from a few people. I don't have many more of these Ebbets Field recordings, but I do have about ten more. 

Some of those are because I decided I wanted to be thorough and post all the ones I could find, even if they're of music I don't like much. This is one that doesn't really appeal to me. I'm not into serious instrumental jazz (although I do like vocal jazz). But hey, I'm sure there are some people out there will appreciate this, so this is for you. It's the Mahavishnu Orchestra, led by lead guitarist John McLaughlin.

Here's the Wikipedia intro about this band:

"The Mahavishnu Orchestra was a jazz fusion band formed in New York City in 1971, led by English guitarist John McLaughlin. The group underwent several line-up changes throughout its history across its two periods of activity, from 1971 to 1976 and from 1984 to 1987. With its first line-up consisting of McLaughlin, drummer Billy Cobham, keyboardist Jan Hammer, violinist Jerry Goodman, and bassist Rick Laird, the band received acclaim for its complex, intense music consisting of a blend of Indian classical music, jazz, and psychedelic rock as well as its dynamic live performances between 1971 and 1973. Many members of the band have gone on to acclaimed careers of their own in the jazz and jazz fusion genres."

Since this isn't really my cup of tea, I won't say much more. But here's the rest of the Wikipedia article:

Mahavishnu Orchestra - Wikipedia

I only had one problem when getting ready to post this album: the last song, "Dawn," got cut off before the end. About the last five minutes were missing. So I found another soundboard bootleg version, from Buffalo, New York in January 1973, and I used that to fill in the last few minutes. That's why that one song has "[Edit]" in its title.

As far as I can tell, this recording is unreleased. The sound quality is excellent.  

01 talk (Mahavishnu Orchestra)
02 Meeting of the Spirits [Instrumental] (Mahavishnu Orchestra)
03 Open Country Joy [Instrumental] (Mahavishnu Orchestra)
04 talk (Mahavishnu Orchestra)
05 The Dance of Maya [Instrumental] (Mahavishnu Orchestra)
06 talk (Mahavishnu Orchestra)
07 Dawn [Instrumental] [Edit] (Mahavishnu Orchestra)

This album is an hour and five minutes long. 

https://pixeldrain.com/u/qh28KWnr

alternate:

https://bestfile.io/o1WSPhKhdYCDfwt/file

The cover image shows John McLaughlin in a Mahavishnu Orchestra concert, in Shibuya Kokaido Hall, , Tokyo, Japan, on September 19, 1973.

5 comments:

  1. Thanks for posting this. Unlike you I am a big fan of MO. In fact imho one of the greatest bands ever.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Paul for this. Actually I'm a big Mahavishnu and electric McLauglin fan

    ReplyDelete
  3. So, Paul, besides wanting to thank you for all the great stuff you pull together an share, I just have to ask you WHAT JAZZ VOCALISTS DO YOU LIKE? (Thanks for everything!!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Winner winner!! Can't get enough of Mahavishnu.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for this, i missed this tour but saw them in 75 with the Jeff Beck Group. Incredible show for like, what, 4 bucks? I'll be giving this my ears for a while, this is a different set of songs then i've found in other 73 shows. Thanks muchly, Namaste, gettin the groove thing goin, etcetera, etcetera, and so forth.

    ReplyDelete