Wednesday, May 31, 2023

Iwan Fals - Music Everywhere, Surabaya, Indonesia, 2013

Yesterday, I posted a concert with a full band by Indonesian singer-songwriter Iwan Fals. I mentioned that might not be the best album for first-time listeners, because it didn't contain many of his best known songs. That got me thinking what would be the best introduction to his music. That would be a collection of his best studio recordings. I'll have to put that together at a future date. But in the meanwhile, this is also pretty good.

First off, once again be warned that Iwan Fals is an Indonesian who sings entirely in Indonesian. So if you don't understand that language, you may not fully appreciate this. He's known as the "Bob Dylan of Indonesia" for his eloquent and often political lyrics, so you'll miss all of that if you don't speak the language. But I think he's very talented with melody and song construction as well. I believe he gets ignored by the "world music" crowd because most of his music has a Western music sound to it, just in a different language. 

Anyway, this is a short but good concert. It was recorded for the Indonesian TV show "Music Everywhere." And no, I don't know why that show has an English title. (That's very uncommon in Indonesia.) This concert was performed without an audience, with a small band. Again, it's not chock-a-block with hits, but it's all good, catchy songs. It may give you a general idea what he's about.

This album is 43 minutes long.

01 Ya atau Tidak (Iwan Fals)
02 Satu-Satu (Iwan Fals)
03 Nona (Iwan Fals)
04 Sore Tugu Pancoran (Iwan Fals)
05 Raya (Iwan Fals)
06 Negeri Kaya (Iwan Fals)
07 Surat Buat Wakil Rakyat (Iwan Fals)
08 Oemar Bakrie (Iwan Fals)

https://www.upload.ee/files/15291756/IwanF_2013_MuscEverywhreSurabyaIndnesia__2013_atse.zip.html

The cover photo is a screenshot I took from this concert, which can be found on YouTube. Oh, and I added an Indonesian batik pattern to the text.

2 comments:

  1. hello. congratulations for the blog. Is it possible to get something from Cornershop?
    thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry. I'm sad to say that I'm only familiar with their one big hit.

      Delete