Sunday, May 28, 2023

Ike & Tina Turner - Hits a Go Go, Zurich, Switzerland, 12-14-1973

Tina Turner died four days ago as I write this in May 2023. She was 83 years old. I've been asked to post something in tribute. I'd already posted something from her solo career (a 1984 concert, check it out), so I went looking for something from her Ike and Tina Turner days. There isn't much in the way of rare or unreleased, but I did find a couple of things. I'm going to start with this one.

I found this concert on YouTube. The sound quality is excellent, and if you watch the video, the visual quality is excellent too. But it's frustrating in that I'm pretty sure the date is incorrect, and the location may be wrong too. What I do know is that this short performance was filmed for the TV show "Hits a Go Go." I can also tell from the set list that it's from 1973, since there are songs from that year but nothing from 1974 or since. But December 14, 1973 is the broadcast date. I don't know when it was actually filmed. And I found a pretty accurate concert list from a Tina Turner fan site, and it looks like she didn't play any concerts in Zurich, Switzerland, or anywhere else in Switzerland, in 1973. 

However, she did play some concerts in Germany in November 1973. So this could have been filmed there. This was broadcast on German TV, so it makes sense if it was filmed in Germany too. But the person who posted it claims it was filmed in Zurich, Switzerland. It's very possible the concert lists I've seen are incomplete, and that's true. Who knows. I watched the video, and there's nothing in it, like an emcee or credits, to give any clues. If anyone can pin this down any better, please let me know.

Anyway, given that this is a relatively short concert, it's frustrating that Tina Turner doesn't appear in the first five songs at all. The first and fifth songs are instrumentals. The second, third, and fourth songs are sung by the backing singers, the Ikettes. It was standard for them to sing some songs in Ike and Tina Turner concerts at the time, so I guess I shouldn't be too surprised. But once Tina Turner got on stage, she definitely shined.

There was only one problem. The last song, "I Want to Take You Higher," cut off as soon as the music came to an abrupt halt. So it was good no music was lost, but there was no audience response. So I patched in some cheering from some of the other songs.

This album is 40 minutes long.

01 El Burrito [Instrumental] (Ike & Tina Turner)
02 Everyday People (Ike & Tina Turner)
03 Will It Go Round in Circles (Ike & Tina Turner)
04 Listen to the Music (Ike & Tina Turner)
05 Standing on the Verge of Getting It On - Gimme Some Lovin' [Instrumental] (Ike & Tina Turner)
06 Sweet Soul Music (Ike & Tina Turner)
07 talk (Ike & Tina Turner)
08 River Deep, Mountain High (Ike & Tina Turner)
09 With a Little Help from My Friends (Ike & Tina Turner)
10 Proud Mary (Ike & Tina Turner)
11 A Love like Yours [Don't Come Knocking Everyday] (Ike & Tina Turner)
12 I Want to Take You Higher (Ike & Tina Turner)

https://www.upload.ee/files/15278217/IkenTinT_1973_HtsaGoGoZrichSwitzerland__12-14-1973_atse.zip.html

The cover photo is a screenshot I took from the video of this concert. The "Hits a Go Go" text was also taken from a screenshot at the very start of the video. I added some more text with the same colors. For the band name at the top, I took that from an unrelated concert poster. 

Oh, and I purposefully didn't include Ike Turner in the picture, or say anything about him, because screw that wife-beating asshole. The less said about him, the better.

2 comments: