Friday, February 3, 2023

Various Artists - Roy Orbison Tribute Concert to Benefit the Homeless, Universal Amphitheater, Los Angeles, CA, 2-24-1990

I recently stumbled across this Roy Orbison concert. As far as I can tell, it's never really appeared as a bootleg, other than as a single file with no song titles or artists given. So I had to some research just to figure out what this was exactly. But I think it was worth it because it's a very interesting show, with lots of big names. Despite it being ostensibly about Roy Orbison, probably the biggest musical event of the concert was the reunion of three key members of the Byrds - Roger McGuinn, David Crosby, and Chris Hillman - who were then joined by Bob Dylan for the song "Mr. Tambourine Man." Dylan wrote it in 1964, and the Byrds had a Number One hit with it in 1965, but they'd never done the song on stage together.

Roy Orbison died of a heart attack at the end of 1988, when he was only 52 years old. The timing of his death was especially unfortunate because he hadn't had much commercial success in the 1970s and 1980s, but that drastically changed right as he died, with him being a member of the Traveling Wilburys supergroup. He even had his first Top Ten hit in over 25 years with "You Got It." 

Regardless, Orbison was a much admired musical legend. So when he died, his wife Barbara Orbison put together a tribute concert that also doubled as a benefit concert to help the homeless. It's an odd concert as these things go, because most of the acts paid tribute to Orbison by covering his songs, but some other acts went in a different direction and played songs that seemed to have no link to Orbison whatsoever. For instance Iggy Pop played "Home," a song from his then-current album. Speaking of Iggy Pop, another odd aspect to the concert was the musical acts involved. Some made lots of sense, because they'd been heavily influenced by Orbison, such as John Fogerty or Chris Isaak. 

Others were more mystifying musically. For instance, you may well wonder what Patrick Swayze is doing here, dueting on the Everly Brothers song "Love Hurts" with Larry Gatlin. Yes, that Patrick Swayze, the famous actor. He released a few songs here and there, but never put out an album. Apparently, some acts mainly got involved because they liked the charitable cause.

Aside from Iggy Pop, the Patrick Swayze and Larry Gatlin duet, and the Byrds songs, plus a duet version of "I'm in the Mood" by John Lee Hooker & Bonnie Raitt, and "The Thrill Is Gone" by B. B. King, I believe all the rest of the songs have some Orbison connection. For instance, "In the Real World," "Rock House," "Chicken Hearted," and "That Lovin' You Feelin' Again" are fairly obscure songs, but they were all written and/or sung by Orbison. (He also did "Love Hurts," although the Everly Brothers did it first.)

Anyway, this contains all of the music performed at the concert that I could find. However, I cut out some of the talking between songs. There were some pitches for people to donate to the charitable cause, which is no longer relevant since the phone number mentioned has long gone dead, I'd assume. But I suspect there was more banter between songs, and maybe even more songs, that didn't get bootlegged. The show was broadcast on TV, but I think it's a safe bet a lot of edits were made to get it to fit within the allowed screen time. There were some acts involved that didn't get any songs featured at all, such as Michelle Shocked and the duet of Wendy and Lisa. They did help out along with some others on the all-female version of "Oh, Pretty Woman," but I wouldn't be surprised if they did songs that got cut from the TV show, and thus this bootleg, because they weren't so famous.

Also, near the end of this concert, the Byrds did four songs: "Turn, Turn, Turn," "Mr. Tambourine Man," "Eight Miles High," and "He Was a Friend of Mine." Dylan took part with "Mr. Tambourine Man," as I previously mentioned. " He also took part in "He Was a Friend of Mine," but just barely, because he merely strummed along on guitar and didn't sing at all, so I didn't add his name to the credits for that song. I know this because I found a video of it on YouTube.

The Byrds performances of "Turn, Turn, Turn" and "Mr. Tambourine Man" have been officially released on a Byrds box set. But the other two remain unreleased, as far as I know.

This album is an hour and 39 minutes long. If anyone knows the correct order of the songs, please let me know.

UPDATE: On February 12, 2023, I updated the mp3 download file. Musical associate Lilpanda had a different source for this concert, with the same high quality sound. Most of it was the same, but there were five songs I didn't have. So I added those. I don't know the correct song order, so I put three of the newly discovered ones at the start (the ones by NRBO, Joe Ely, and Syd Straw). That also included two songs by the Byrds, "Eight Miles High" and "He Was a Friend of Mine," so I put those with the rest of the Byrds' set. That added about 20 minutes of music to the album.

01 Chicken Hearted (NRBQ)
02 Working for the Man (Joe Ely)
03 She's a Mystery to Me (Syd Straw)
04 talk (John Fogerty)
05 Ooby Dooby (John Fogerty)
06 Mean Woman Blues (Levon Helm)
07 I'm in the Mood (John Lee Hooker & Bonnie Raitt)
08 talk (Chris Isaak)
09 Leah (Chris Isaak)
10 Dream Baby [How Long Must I Dream] (Shrunken Heads [Tom Tom Club & Jerry Harrison])
11 Crying (k. d. lang)
12 The Thrill Is Gone (B. B. King with Al Kooper & Don Was)
13 You Got It (John Hiatt with Don Was)
14 It's Over (Was [Not Was])
15 In the Real World (Booker T. Jones)
16 Home (Iggy Pop)
17 Oh, Pretty Woman (k.d. lang, Bonnie Raitt & Emmylou Harris)
18 That Lovin' You Feelin' Again (Emmylou Harris & Michael McDonald)
19 Claudette (Dwight Yoakam)
20 talk (Bernie Taupin)
21 Running Scared (Benny Mardones)
22 Love Hurts (Larry Gatlin & Patrick Swayze)
23 talk (Stray Cats)
24 Rock House (Stray Cats)
25 talk (Barbara Orbison)
26 talk (Bonnie Raitt)
27 Candy Man (Bonnie Raitt with Chris Isaak)
28 Turn, Turn, Turn [To Everything There Is a Season] (Byrds)
29 Eight Miles High (Byrds)
30 talk (Roger McGuinn)
31 Mr. Tambourine Man (Byrds & Bob Dylan)
32 He Was a Friend of Mine (Byrds)
33 Only the Lonely (Everyone)

https://www.imagenetz.de/d47no

For the cover, I used a photo of Dylan with the three former Byrds from this exact concert. The section at the top with the title comes from some promotional artwork for this concert, but I cropped and stretched it to fit.

6 comments:

  1. I knew of this show because of the Byrds stuff, but I guess I never knew who else was on the bill. Benny Mardones? (Well, I guess "Into The Night" had just come back on the charts the previous year.) Patrick Swayze? Quite a group. I love that they included "That Lovin' You Feelin' Again". That used to be a "secret weapon" for an oldies station I was working at around the same time this concert happened.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, it really is quite a group. It almost feels as if someone took a list of all the famous musicians at the time (plus Patrick Swayze!), put their names on a dart board, and then someone threw darts at it.

      Delete
  2. I was curious about "Love Hurts" so I looked it up on Wikipedia. It turns out that Roy had the first hit with the song, but in Australia. 1961.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Really? I didn't know that. It sounds very much like an Orbison song, with the heartbreak and yearning he does so well. But I just looked it up and it did first come out on an Everly Brothers album.

      Delete
  3. I only had the Fogerty song of this tribute. Thanks for "the rest"!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Roy Orbison was a true original! Great blog!

    ReplyDelete