Thursday, February 2, 2023

Album Volume Balance and Mp3 Tag Fixes Are Finished!

Posting music on this blog has been a learning process. About a year ago, I realized that I'd screwed up in that I didn't adjust the volume balance between songs on albums where the songs came from different source. So sometimes one song would be really loud and another would be really quiet. All the songs also have extra information posted in their mp3 tags, such as the years the songs were recorded and what the sources are. But also around a year ago, I realized that I'd made a mistake in putting the source info in the same mp3 tag field as the album name. So I decided to fix both of those things at once.

Making those fixes was a really big pain in the rear. I've had to go through most of the albums I've posted here (except for concerts from a single source) and make volume edits to a majority of the songs, as well as changing the album and comment fields for all those songs. Then I had to re-zip and re-upload all those albums. I sure which I'd done these things right in the first place! It's taken me seemingly zillions of tedious hours, bit by bit, over the course of the last year. I'm very happy to announce that I'm finally done. I may have missed a few albums here and there. If so, definitely please let me know. But the vast, vast majority should be fixed.

With these fixes, the albums I've posted should sound better. But also, they should play better in some music programs like iTunes. Sometimes there still is a problem when an album has a mix of different artists on them. For instance, if there's a concert with half of the songs just featuring Paul Simon solo and then the second half featuring Simon and Garfunkel, some programs get confused and have trouble treating that like one album. I can't do anything about that, because I have to be honest about who played on which songs. But at least the stray tracks albums I've made won't be split into lots of different albums by such programs, as they used to be.

6 comments:

  1. Jesus, that scared me. I thought you meant you were done with fixing albums, as in, this blog wouldn't be updated anymore. Thankfully that's not the case :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I could see how you could have that misunderstanding, so I just changed the title.

      Delete
  2. Thanks for all your hard work, you've put some amazing stuff on here!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank You, Thank You, Thank You!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Many thanks for your efforts!! Query what soft do you use for tagging? Tag&Rename?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome. I use two programs: TagScanner and Mp3Tag. They're both free, and you have to pay for Tag&Rename.

      Delete