Monday, September 16, 2019

The Velvet Underground - Wrap Your Troubles in Dreams - Non-Album Tracks (1964-1967)

Here's the first of stray tracks collections for the Velvet Underground (VU).

I'm starting this with some songs from Lou Reed before the VU even formed. Reed started his musical career by working as a professional songwriter in the "Brill Building" factory assembly line style. Most of these songs weren't good, and most of them were sung by others. But even now and then, he'd come up with something that almost could have passed for a future VU song.

The first and foremost example of this is "The Ostrich." This is a great place to start, because it's where the VU begin. That song was a minor hit, the only one from Reed's time hired as a songwriter. The record company wanted Reed to tour to support the song, and he met and began working with John Cale when bringing that band together. The rest is history. "You're Driving Me Insane" and "Cycle Annie" are the other Reed songs from this early era.

I follow that with two songs from Nico, "I'm Not Sayin'" and "The Last Mile." I generally consider Nico's music career separate from the VU's, since she went in a different direction after her brief time as part of the band. But I have a few exceptions, such as these songs. They're the A- and B-sides of her only official release before she joined the VU.

The rest of the songs on this album actually are performed by the VU, during the time Nico was a member. Of course, "There She Goes Again" was on VU's classic first album, but this version has Nico singing lead vocals instead of Reed, and that's such a big difference that I figured it merited inclusion here.

The last two songs come from Nico's 1967 album "Chelsea Girl." Five of the songs from that album were performed by Nico backed by all the members of the VU, and they were written by Cale and/or Reed as well. So those five songs have made it on some VU collections, with good reason. I've included three here. I would have put all five on, but I want this album to have a reasonable length, so the other two will go on the next VU stray tracks album I post here.

I have "I'll It with Mine" as a bonus track. Nico did this song for her "Chelsea Girls" album. But this actually is a live version performed by Nico with the VU. The problem is, Nico's vocals were almost inaudible on the audience bootleg recording. So I took her vocal from her album and added them in, creating a mash-up of sorts. I posted that single song here a while back, and the reaction was mixed, so I'm only including it as a bonus track as a result. But I feel pretty strongly that the issue people have isn't with my mash-up, but with the way the VU played the song in concert. They didn't do it the normal way Nico did it, Dylan did it, and everyone else who covered the song did it. Instead, they added a totally different rock and roll rhythm that doesn't fit the song well. But it is interesting, so I figure it's worthy to have at least as a bonus track.

01 The Ostrich (Lou Reed & the Primitives)
02 You're Driving Me Insane (Lou Reed & the Roughnecks)
03 Cycle Annie (Lou Reed & the Beachnuts)
04 I'm Not Sayin' (Nico)
05 The Last Mile (Nico)
06 Miss Joanie Lee [Edit] (Velvet Underground)
08 There She Goes Again [Nico Vocals] (Velvet Underground)
09 Melody Laughter [Edit] (Velvet Underground)
10 Little Sister (Nico & the Velvet Underground)
11 Winter Song (Nico & the Velvet Underground)
12 Wrap Your Troubles in Dreams (Nico & the Velvet Underground)

I'll Keep It with Mine [Edit] (Velvet Underground)

https://www.imagenetz.de/hXzsj

The cover art photo is a publicity photo of Nico and the VU around 1966 or 1967. The VU were named after a book by Michael Leigh of the same title. I used the text from that book cover for that band name up top.

4 comments:

  1. Never heard this version of "There She Goes Again"! Thanks man.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome. I included it because I think it's pretty interesting. I would have liked to see Nico do more with the VU. Basically, she's only known (as part of the VU) for singing three songs on the first album, and that's not a lot.

      Delete
  2. Ah, you're missing "I've got a tiger in my tank" - I managed to get the "Soundsville" album with the three Lou tracks on (Annie, Insane and Tiger) about a month ago, and it's all pretty good musically not just the Lou tracks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just gave that another listen. I didn't include it because it doesn't sound VU-esque at all. More like a derivative Beach Boys thing. And if Reed is singing, it doesn't have his distinctive sound. It's interesting in a historical way, but not something I'd want to listen to very much.

      Delete