Saturday, December 15, 2018

Paul Weller - This Old Town - Non-Album Tracks (2007-2009)

Here's the next in my seemingly endless number of Paul Weller stray tracks album. I think this is a particularly strong one. It covers non-album songs from 2007 to 2009. (The album of acoustic material has already been posted as "The Start of Forever.")

As usual, this is a mix of covers, four of them from Traffic, ("John Barleycorn," "Here We Go Round the Mulberry Bush," "Paper Sun," and "Pearly Queen") plus one other ("Pretty Flamingo,"), Jam songs ("Shopping," "Eton Rifles," and "Thick as Thieves"),, and originals. But this is a bit unusual, in that five of the 11 songs are duets or collaborations.

By the way, I made a rather bold edit to the song "John Barleycorn." The original version started out with about a minute of a traditional Irish version of the song, done completely different from the rest of the song, and with no Weller involvement. Obviously, the idea was to compare and contrast that way of doing the song with the more modern sounding version led by Weller for the rest of the song. But I preferred just hearing the Weller part, so I lopped off the beginning section. If you don't like that, feel free to get the original version.

This album is 42 minutes long.

UPDATE: On October 30, 2022, I made some changes to the mp3 download file. I added the songs "Golden Leaves" and "Pearly Queen," which I had previously missed. I also moved the song "Thick as Thieves" from the "Talisman" stray tracks album to here. Finally, because those additions made this album too long compared to some others here, I moved two songs, "Love's Got Me Crazy" and "Shout to the Top," to the next stray tracks album in this series, "Devotion." I also moved the song "Going Underground" to the "Talisman" album, because I found out the performance was actually from 2002 and I'd misplaced it.

01 Thick as Thieves (Paul Weller)
02 Golden Leaves (Paul Weller)
03 John Barleycorn [Edit] (Paul Weller & the Imagined Village)
04 Are You Trying to Be Lonely (Andy Lewis & Paul Weller)
05 Here We Go Round the Mulberry Bush (Paul Weller)
06 Paper Sun (Paul Weller)
07 Shopping (Candie Payne & Paul Weller)
08 This Old Town (Paul Weller & Graham Coxon)
09 Pearly Queen (Paul Weller)
10 Pretty Flamingo (Paul Weller)
11 The Eton Rifles (Paul Weller)

https://www.imagenetz.de/eiVcF

I made the cover using a photo of Weller from 2008.

3 comments: