Sunday, November 4, 2018

Robyn Hitchcock - Mr. Thrusty's Fruit Club - Non-Album Tracks (1988-1989)

Here's the second part of the double Robyn Hitchcock posting. As I just explained in the other post, for each of his official albums, I generally am able to come up with an album of acoustic versions and an album of stray tracks. This is the album of stray tracks to go with 1988's "Globe of Frogs."

Probably the first thing I need to address is the strange album title I've chosen! That's due to Hitchcock's spoken introduction to one of the unreleased songs here. Logically, the song should be called "Consider Her Ways," but he jokingly and randomly titles it "Mr. Thrusty's Fruit Club." That tickled my funny bone, so I couldn't resist giving the album that title too. ;)

There's a lot of variety on this album. About half of the songs are with a full band, and I tried to cluster those in the first half. The rest are acoustic. About half have been officially released as B-sides and such, and the other half are from bootlegs of concerts. Many, many times, I've been able to find acoustic versions of songs done with a full band, but this contains a rare case of the opposite: a full band version of the song "Globe of Frogs," which is done acoustically on the official "Globe of Frogs" album.

Three of the songs here are cover versions: "Kung Fu Fighting," "Wild Mountain Thyme," and "More than This." I've included them here instead of on my long album series of his acoustic covers because they're full band versions or officially released studio versions, or both.

01 Someday My Love (Robyn Hitchcock)
02 Legalized Murder (Robyn Hitchcock)
03 A Globe of Frogs [Band Version] (Robyn Hitchcock)
04 Kung Fu Fighting (Robyn Hitchcock)
05 Ruling Class (Robyn Hitchcock)
06 More Chinese Boys (Robyn Hitchcock)
07 Consider Her Ways [Mr. Thrusty's Fruit Club] (Robyn Hitchcock)
08 Wild Mountain Thyme (Robyn Hitchcock)
09 Space Odessey (Robyn Hitchcock)
10 You're an Angel (Robyn Hitchcock)
11 Element of Air (Robyn Hitchcock)
12 More than This (Robyn Hitchcock)

https://www.upload.ee/files/15122127/RobynH_1989_MrThrustyFruitClub_atse.zip.html

I made the cover using a drawing made by Hitchcock. He drew it as the cover art for another musician, John Hegley and the Popticians, and their 1988 single "I Saw My Dinner on TV."

2 comments: