Monday, October 1, 2018

The Beach Boys - Reverberation - Non-Album Tracks (1970)

I recently posted an album of Beach Boys stray tracks from 1967 to 1969. This is the next album in a series, covering 1970.

My method is the same as in the last album. Namely, I'm not trying to replicate any of the "lost" Beach Boys albums, even though I'm using the name of one of them, for a lack of any better name. If you're interested in those lost albums, you can start by checking the Wikipedia page for the Beach Boys album "Sunflower." It shows how that album was first known as "Sun Flower," then "Add Some Music," then "The Fading Rock Group Revival," then "Reverberation," then "Sunflower" again (but without the space between the "sun" and the "flower.") There are some tentative song lists there as well.

Instead of that, I'm just pulling together all of the non-album tracks from 1970. It was a very fruitful year for the group. "Sunflower," which was released in 1970, has 12 songs on it. This album I've created which I call "Reverberation" also has 12 songs on it. Personally, I think it's just as strong of an album.

Most of the songs on it came out on later archival releases, such as the "Good Vibrations" and "Made in California" box sets. But two of the songs are still officially unreleased. To be, it really is a mystery why so many of these songs stayed in the vaults for so long. Personally, I think the band peaked from about 1966 to 1973. That puts 1970 right in the middle of that peak

However, not every song was good, in my opinion, so there were a few I left off. For instance, in 1970, Brian Wilson made a demo of a Halloween novelty song called "My Solution." Some people like it, but I don't. There were a few others like that I thought were marginal and left off. What remains makes up a solid album, in my book, that's 40 minutes long.

I've also included a bonus track, which is a 1970 version of "Big Sur," a song that eventually was released on 1973's "Holland" album. I've included it both because this version is significantly different from the 1973 version and also because this early version is still officially unreleased. It's only a bonus track though, since it's not totally different from the other version.

UPDATE: On March 8, 2019, I updated the mp3 download zip and the song list with four more songs. The reason for that is that some more music was officially released at the end of 2018, but obscurely, mainly for the record company to maintain copyright rights.

01 We're Together Again (Beach Boys)
02 Walkin' (Beach Boys)
03 Walk On By [Edit] (Beach Boys)
04 Passing By [Vocals Version] (Beach Boys)
05 Susie Cincinnati (Beach Boys)
06 Games Two Can Play (Beach Boys)
07 Barbara (Beach Boys)
08 I Just Got My Pay (Beach Boys)
09 Fallin' in Love [Lady] (Beach Boys)
10 Back Home (Beach Boys)
11 Sweet and Bitter (Beach Boys)
12 Loop De Loop [Sail Plane Song] (Beach Boys)
13 Cotton Fields [The Cotton Song] [Single Version] (Beach Boys)
14 H.E.L.P. Is on the Way (Beach Boys)
15 It's a New Day (Beach Boys)
16 Sound of Free (Beach Boys)

Big Sur [Early Version] (Beach Boys)

https://www.imagenetz.de/f74M7

I found the cover at an Internet forum, made by someone named Picassoson.

2 comments:

  1. Breakaway, susiecincinnati & cotton fields should've been on sunflower instead of Bruce's songs, at my window & cool..water.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Here's my track listing for Sunflower

    This Whole World
    Add Some Music to Your Day
    Suzie Cincinatti
    Fallin in Love
    Our Sweet Love
    Slip on Thru

    Side 2
    Good Time
    Loop De Loop
    Cotton Fields
    All I Wanna Do
    Forever
    At My Window
    Cool Cool Water





    ReplyDelete