Tuesday, October 9, 2018

Robyn Hitchcock - You and Oblivion - Alternate Version (1985-1987)

Here's the other 1987 Robyn Hitchcock album I've made (though many of the songs on it date from 1985 or 1986).

I call it "You and Oblivion" because all but one of the songs come from his 1995 archival album by that name. That album had 22 songs on it, all from 1981 to 1987. I used up most of those songs on earlier stray tracks albums, as I tried to put his songs into a better chronological order. I was left with this bunch all from 1987 or thereabouts.

Confusingly, this album does not include the song "You and Oblivion." But then again, neither does Hitchcock's 1995 album that also uses that name. Instead, that song came out on "Moss Elixir" in 1996.

Also confusingly, I have one song on here that doesn't come from his "You and Oblivion" album, yet I put one song from that album on the 1987 "Poisonous Angel" album I just posted. The reason for that is because that song, "Mr. Rock 'n' Roll," is a rocking song done with a full band. All the songs here are acoustic. So that song would have stuck out like a sore thumb if "d included it here. The song I swapped from the other 1987 collection is also solo acoustic, thus creating a unified acoustic sound for all the songs here.

It's a bit complicated, but the bottom line is one gets the mostly full band "Poisonous Angel" and then this, the all acoustic "You and Oblivion," to finish off what Hitchcock was doing circa 1987.

By the way, this album is a bit short, only 31 minutes long. Oh, and "Polly on the Shore" is a cover. I included it here instead of my covers collections because it's a studio track.

01 If I Could Look (Robyn Hitchcock)
02 Vegetable Friend (Robyn Hitchcock)
03 You've Got (Robyn Hitchcock)
04 Don't You (Robyn Hitchcock)
05 August Hair (Robyn Hitchcock)
06 The Dust (Robyn Hitchcock)
07 Polly on the Shore (Robyn Hitchcock)
08 Fiend Before the Shrine (Robyn Hitchcock)
09 September Cones (Robyn Hitchcock)
10 Take Your Knife Out of My Back (Robyn Hitchcock)

https://www.upload.ee/files/15122126/RobynH_1987_YouandOblivAlternate_atse.zip.html

Since I kept the same name as the official compilation "You and Oblivion," I've used the same cover.

No comments:

Post a Comment