Tuesday, October 23, 2018

Elliott Smith - I Figured You Out - Non-Album Tracks (1996)

Here's the next stray tracks Elliott Smith album.

As I said with the last Smith posting, I'm not a big fan of his work as part of the band Heatmiser in general. But his songs gradually improved within that band. In 1994 and 1995 he put out two acclaimed acoustic solo albums. So by the time the band's last album came out in 1996, "Mic City Sons," his songs on it were less the loud grunge rock typical of the time that didn't suit him. They were more influenced by his new acoustic style, although some of them were still definitely rocking.

As I result, I've included all but one of the songs he wrote on "Mic City Sons," plus an A-side, after including almost nothing from Heatmiser on the previous stray tracks album. One can tell Smith was happier with this last batch of Heatmiser songs because he played most of them in concert as a solo artist while pretty much giving up on nearly all of his earlier Heatmiser songs.

The rest of the songs on this album are Elliott Smith solo songs from a variety of sources, generally just him and his guitar.

You may note that I didn't include any songs from "New Moon" after including a bunch last time. That's because my next posting here will be an entire album of songs from that source, all from 1996. As I said previously, I think the songs from that album are better served if they're broken up into chunks based on the years they were recorded.

01 Plainclothes Man (Heatmiser)
02 Get Lucky (Heatmiser)
03 The Fix Is In (Heatmiser)
04 You Gotta Move (Heatmiser)
05 Half Right (Heatmiser)
06 Everybody Has It (Heatmiser)
07 You Make It Seem like Nothing (Elliott Smith)
08 I Figured You Out (Elliott Smith)
09 The Real Estate [Solo Version] (Elliott Smith)
10 I Don't Think I'm Ever Gonna Figure It Out (Elliott Smith)
11 Coast to Coast [Early Version] (Elliott Smith)
12 Plainclothes Man [Solo Version] (Elliott Smith)
13 Abused (Elliott Smith)
14 Burned Out, Still Glowing (Elliott Smith)

https://www.upload.ee/files/15175129/EllittS_1996_I_FigurdYouOut_atse.zip.html

I made the cover art from a photo of Smith in concert in 1996.

No comments:

Post a Comment