Wednesday, May 25, 2022

Pentangle - Travelling Songs - Non-Album Tracks (1968-1972)

As part of my big BBC project, I'm turning my attention soon to the British folk band Pentangle. But before I get to their considerable amount of BBC material, I want to post a stray tracks album first. This gathers up all their studio material that isn't on any of their studio albums.

My apologies to PJ over at his excellent "Albums I Wish Existed" blog, because he's previously posted an album that is almost identical to this one. He had the same idea, so it makes sense that he gathered the same bunch of songs. It so happens I'd gathered these songs on my own already, and there are a couple of key differences with his album, so I think this is worth posting.

For the most part, this consists of A-sides, B-sides, and bonus tracks. "Travelling Song" is an A-side from 1968. "I Saw an Angel" and "Cold Mountain" are B-sides from 1969. Tracks 1, 3, 4, and 6 are bonus tracks. "Name of the Game" is from a 1969 BBC performance. I tried to avoid including BBC performances since I'll soon be posting a whole bunch of BBC albums by the band, but I couldn't resist in this case because it's an original they otherwise never recorded. (There are many other songs on the BBC albums I'll be posting that include covers they otherwise never recorded.)

That just leaves the last three songs. "The Best Part of You" and "Tam Lin" are from a 1970 movie, and were eventually included on the Pentangle box set "The Time Has Come." 

"Christian the Lion," from a 1972 movie, is a more complicated case. This song also was included on the box set. But it was played in sections throughout the movie instead of ever appearing as a whole. They made the strange decision on the box set to mix these sections with incidental, instrumental music by the band that was also in the movie. This instrumental music has nothing to do with this song, and is forgettable background music, so I haven't included it. Instead, I patched the different parts of "Christian the Lion" together to make one coherent song (thus the "[Edit]" in the song title).

PJ's version of this album also included an instrumental version of the song "Jack Orion" from the box set. I didn't see the point to that, especially since it was just a vocal version of the song with the vocals removed. He also split "Tam Lin" into two parts; I prefer it all together. Finally, he didn't include "Christian the Lion," probably because the version of the box set is such a mess.

Here's his version, if you want some of the different bits:

https://albumsiwishexisted2.blogspot.com/2020/12/pentangle-casbah-1970.html

This album is 35 minutes long. 

01 The Wheel [Instrumental] (Pentangle)
02 Travelling Song (Pentangle)
03 The Casbah [Instrumental] (Pentangle)
04 Koan [Instrumental] (Pentangle)
05 I Saw an Angel (Pentangle)
06 Haitian Fight Song [Instrumental] (Pentangle)
07 Cold Mountain (Pentangle)
08 Name of the Game (Pentangle)
09 The Best Part of You (Pentangle)
10 Tam Lin (Pentangle)
11 Christian the Lion [Edit] (Pentangle)

https://www.upload.ee/files/15267330/Pentgl_1968-1972_TrvellingSngs_atse.zip.html

The photo for the album cover comes from a 1969 promotional photo shoot. It's not the greatest photo, but there are surprisingly few good color photos for this rather well-known band.

No comments:

Post a Comment