Monday, May 9, 2022

Marmalade - BBC Sessions, Volume 1: 1967-1969

Now that I've posted all the Marmalade stray tracks albums I want to post, I'm ready to post a couple of albums of their BBC sessions. 

Note that there are a few songs the band only performed at the BBC and never on record, so I included those with the stray tracks album, not with these BBC albums. More specifically, the first stray tracks album I made, "I see the Rain," contain BBC performances of "(I Know) I'm Losing You" and "Sixty Minutes of Your Love." The second album, "Lovin' Things," contains three BBC performances: "Hush," "Seven Days Too Long," and "Mr. Businessman." But that's it. Other than those five songs, all the remaining BBC performances are here.

This band was definitely on the poppy side of British 1960s bands, and you can see that in spades here, because they did many covers of hit songs for the BBC. But this also shows a soulful side, because many of those covers are of soul songs, especially the Motown styled kind, such as "Stop in the Name of Love" and "This Old Heart of Mine." Overall, this album has significantly more cover songs than it does songs the band had their own hits with.

All the songs here are sourced from an official album called "BBC Sessions." I looked for other TV or radio performances to supplement that, but I didn't find any songs that were different than the ones they did for the BBC.

By now, I should probably have a boilerplate paragraph to describe what I have to say next. Yes, there are a bunch of songs where BBC DJs talked over the music. In fact, that happened for 11 out of the 19 songs here (the ones with "Edit" in their titles). And yes, I used the audio editing program X-Minus to wipe the talking while keeping the underlying music intact.

This album is 52 minutes long. 

01 Can't Stop Now [Edit] (Marmalade)
02 I See the Rain (Marmalade)
03 Daddy Rolling Stone [Edit] (Marmalade)
04 Lovin' Things (Marmalade)
05 Stop in the Name of Love (Marmalade)
06 I Can't Explain [Edit] (Marmalade)
07 Wait for Me Marianne [Edit] (Marmalade)
08 Mess Around [Edit] (Marmalade)
09 Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da [Edit] (Marmalade)
10 My Back Pages [Edit] (Marmalade)
11 This Old Heart of Mine (Marmalade)
12 Baby Make It Soon (Marmalade)
13 The Boogaloo Party [Edit] (Marmalade)
14 Gimme Gimme Good Lovin' (Marmalade)
15 Rollin' My Thing [Edit] (Marmalade)
16 Carolina in My Mind [Edit] (Marmalade)
17 To Love Somebody (Marmalade)
18 Melting Pot [Edit] (Marmalade)
19 Reflections of My Life (Marmalade)

https://www.upload.ee/files/15264111/Marmld_1967-1969_BBSessionsVolume1_atse.zip.html

Supposedly, the cover photo comes from 1969. But I'm pretty sure it's from 1967 or 1968, since that was the short window in which it seemed cool for bands to dress like this instead of ridiculous. ;) Since the colors of their outfits were loud and outrageous, I chose similarly bold colors for the text.

No comments:

Post a Comment