Sunday, May 29, 2022

Pentangle - BBC Sessions, Volume 1: 1968

Now that I've posted a Pentangle stray tracks album, I can get on with posting their BBC sessions. There's a lot of 'em - six volumes. Here's the first.

Pentangle (sometimes known as "The Pentangle") played frequently for the BBC during their late 1960s/ early 1970s heyday. Much of it has been officially released, but much of it is a mess. There are two official releases: "On Air," which is also known as "Live at the BBC" in some versions, and "The Lost Broadcasts." Additionally, there's another album called "Live On Air" which is a "grey market" unauthorized release. These different albums sometimes have the same versions of the same songs, but occasionally with different sound quality. Then there are even more unreleased songs not on any of them. So it's taken a while to sort this out.

The vast majority of this particular volume comes from "The Lost Broadcasts." But there's one song, "Mirage," that's unreleased, and three more from the unauthorized "Live On Air" album. The sound quality can vary from song to song - these are not all pristine recordings. But I didn't include anything I felt wasn't up to snuff.

I think the band often appeared on jazz, blues, and/or folk specialty shows, so their songs weren't talked over by BBC DJs as much as if they were always on the pop oriented shows. But still, that did happen to them sometimes. Three of the songs here had that problem (the ones with "[Edit]" in their titles), so I used the X-Minus audio editing software to fix them. 

01 Turn Your Money Green (Pentangle)
02 Travelling Song (Pentangle)
03 Soho (Pentangle)
04 Mirage (Pentangle)
05 No More My Lord (Pentangle)
06 I Am Lonely (Pentangle)
07 Forty-Eight (Pentangle)
08 Orlando (Pentangle)
09 Three Dances- Bransle Gay - La Rotta - The Earle of Salisbury [Instrumental] (Pentangle)
10 The Time Has Gone (Pentangle)
11 In Your Mind [Edit] (Pentangle)
12 I Loved a Lass [Edit] (Pentangle)
13 Sovay [Edit] (Pentangle)
14 I've Got a Feeling (Pentangle)

https://www.upload.ee/files/15267206/Pentgl_1968_BBSessionsVolume1_atse.zip.html

I don't know when or where the photo used for the cover comes from. There aren't many good color photos of the band, so one can't be too choosy. But it looks to me to be from their early years, so I used it for this first album in the series.

No comments:

Post a Comment