Sunday, May 12, 2019

Van Morrison - Live Rarities, Volume 3: 1973-1974

Here's a brief recap. I've posted a lot of live Van Morrison from the late 1960s and 1970s, my favorite time period for his music. I've posted a number of his best concerts, with a mind to having a minimum of overlapping material. But there still are some interesting songs he's done in concert that I've missed, so I have this series of live rarities. All the songs on this album (and the rest of the series) are not on any of the other Morrison live albums I've posted here.


This is the third album of his live rarities I've posted. The first two had trouble sometimes with sound quality. If a song only gets played a few times in concert (or even just once!), the odds are not good that there will be a pristine soundboard bootleg of it. I'm glad to say that this time around the sound quality is better. Maybe his popularity was growing, but for whatever reason, there are more bootlegs of him by 1973 and 1974, which means more chances for better sound.

Some of the songs here date from Morrison's time with the band Them in the mid-1960s: "It's All Over Now, Baby Blue" (which is also a Bob Dylan song), "My Lonely Sad Eyes," and "Don't Look Back." A couple others here are covers: "You Done Me Wrong" and "Just Like a Woman" (also a Dylan song). I believe the rest are Morrison originals that he just didn't play live very much, for whatever reason. "Streets of Arklow" appeared on the 1974 "Veedon Fleece" album. Three others - "Street Theory," "Wonderful Remark," and "Try to Sleep" - didn't appear on any official album at the time, though two of them did much later. I have different versions of all of those on series of Morrison's stray tracks albums.

This album is 48 minutes long.

01 You Done Me Wrong (Van Morrison)
02 It's All Over Now, Baby Blue (Van Morrison)
03 Try for Sleep (Van Morrison)
04 Just like a Woman (Van Morrison)
05 Wonderful Remark (Van Morrison)
06 Streets of Arklow (Van Morrison)
07 My Lonely Sad Eyes (Van Morrison)
08 Don't Look Back (Van Morrison)
09 Street Theory (Van Morrison)

https://www.upload.ee/files/15257261/VanMrsn_1973-1974_LivRritiesolume3_atse.zip.html

The cover art comes from a 1972 concert in Berkeley, California. I would have preferred something from 1973 or 1974 for this album, but it looked too good with the blending colors for me not to use it. I didn't change much except for the necessary cropping I have to do with rectangular posters. I also moved up his name at the bottom to make things fit, and added in the album title.

No comments:

Post a Comment